Autocad 2007 : Roofs?

Andy Park

Hi.

I'm new to autocad and I am really struggling to create roofs for residential buildings. I know i can create a pline then extrude with a taper. however this is very simplified i need something for more complex roofs.

i've searched the net and cgarchitect and most of the roof references talk about roof slabs?? I think is is ADT not Autocad (not sure though).

Can someone point me in the right direction for a tutorial. i have roof plans, elevations and angles.

p.s i downloaded roofbuilder tool. i can't get it to create the correct extrusions. This is the last thing i need to do to finish a project and it driving me crazy?

can you load up an image of The roof plan(s)?

one old-school Type Technique That i still use

is

set up The floor plan and extrude walls vertically from That

draw lines away from The corners of The bldgs To locate The elevations

place each Elevation in its corresponding location relating To The floor plan

rotate by 90 degress so That it is standing up facing The bldg/floor plans

Then you can Trace over The roof outline making a closed polyline

and Then extrude (back Toward The bldg 3d model) and Then slice

off The Roof planes where indicated by The OPPOSITE elevation

just one Technique among others, you can also draw The roof pitch

from The corners, fillet in The middle, close The polyline and extrude

That makes a solid roof piece

hope This isnt Too confusing.

maybe post an image That might help get Things started

Thanks

randy

The first is the roof plan the second is the isometric of the building the roof is goin on. the current roof that is on it doesn't have an overhang so i need to change it. I made that one by drawing the profile extrude it back the boolean any needed slopes. dont want to have to do that again.:mad:

Hi Andy

Not been in the architectual side I can only sugest how i would do it in autocad. like randy I would use closed poly lines then extrude them back.

For end angles you could taper faces.

Or you could do as Ive shown on the attached and seperate your plan up into sections create blocks and face taper the sides ,this took me 30mins , some of the heights are wrong to your visual but didnt have any to go by, also needs cleaning up .

You could combine both closed poly and plan seperation and extrude if you need more detail

• 2 months later...

This can be easily done in ADT or Autodesk Architecture. The roof tool is very powerfull, but you just need to learn the tips and tricks. This roof for instance is a matter of 10 - 15 min work, with everything, faceboard and even the girders, rafters, trusses and all. Don't have the time now, but I will make a tutorial for a roof soon and post this online.

cheers,

• 3 months later...

Can files from ADT be imported into max ? I am looking for an easy way to make roofs for my models. What steps are needed after importing the ADT file into max ?

This can be easily done in ADT or Autodesk Architecture. The roof tool is very powerfull, but you just need to learn the tips and tricks. This roof for instance is a matter of 10 - 15 min work, with everything, faceboard and even the girders, rafters, trusses and all. Don't have the time now, but I will make a tutorial for a roof soon and post this online.

cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I will post a tutorial later, but this is how I've figured out how to do complex roof with the solid features now in acad.

Basically, you draw the plines in plan from a roof plan. Then I extrude the pline 1" (it needs to be a solid for the next step, and this provides the sheathing/plywood of sorts.

I then draw a line with the actual slope up from the midpoint of the perimeter of a roof section, extend it to the highest point of that roof section, the using the control-leftclick choose the point or midpoint of that solid and lift in the the Z direction up. Let me see if I can show a very quick screen shot, I know this sounds confusing.

You do need a relatively accurate roof plan, or create one.

So here's some very quick screenshots.

What is useful, is once you have one height established, such as the hip I'm showing, I can use it's peak to set the height of the adjacent roof portions I would model next. i.e., I wouldn't have to draw that 4:12 orange triangle slope that I showed in the screenshot. (4:12 is an example, use whatever your actual slope is).

BTW, when you raise a portion of the roof solid that is a ridge line, not point, you would use the midpoint of the ridge, not do each side separately so you don't get a jacked up solid with multiple faces.

Clear as mud? ;)

• 10 months later...