hedge, ivy, shrub

maxs

hi,

i am looking for a programm etc, where i can make 3d hedges, ivy, shrubs like in the images i posted.

i bought the bamboo creator of onyx, which is fine for this purpose. but i could not find anything like a hedge in the other onyx products, and dont want to buy them, just to find out.

hope someone can help me.

thanks

the easiest way to do what you're trying to do is using the scatter feature...

* create a singe face, map an image of leaf in the opacity channel (with or without an image in the diffuse channel)

* make the material 2-sided to double the amount of leaves visible

* create a closed spline, extrude it and shape it to represent the volume taken up by the shrubs

* scatter the leaf around the volume you just created

i use this on almost every project because it's super fast and easy and it gives you great control over the total face count

thanks for your replies. i will try them.

but does anyone know which programm(natfx, vue, xfrog etc.) has something like hedges and ivys premade, where i just have to adjust the parameters?

thx

• 2 weeks later...

good day to all active & expert members there, im just starting 3ds max for only around 2 months, by the way, my field of work is in landscape designing. I found out that its maybe today the most powerful 3d software ever made. i'm looking for a 3d plant material editor for making realistic 3d tree models. is anyone can help there? tnxs!

but does anyone know which programm(natfx, vue, xfrog etc.) has something like hedges and ivys premade, where i just have to adjust the parameters?

I've been playing with hedging a bit, but mostly in game spaces where poly-counts limit the types of primitives I can use. Still, I thought some of these might offer an interesting demonstration of alternatives.

It's not apparent here because this primitive (a kind of normal map or parametric surface) has been elongated so much that surface deformations originally added to get rid of the cylinder's perfectly smooth surface geometry are lost by the stretching. Still, it's not bad.

The real task, IMO, is producing a single foliage texture that addresses the directional nature of the hedges two sides as well as the top. Creating a texture of that sort is a problem absent an easy way to address the growth characteristics of the plant's foliage.

This example uses four primitives for the hedge and one for the hedge footing (stems). In a less demanding environment a much more detailed result should be possible, beginning with a modeled surface that is more accurate to the asymmetry of plant surfaces.

In my haste to work the texture problem I neglected to add the underlying stem and branch structures beneath the foliage. Still, this is a simple 5 prim hedge that required creation of two 512 alpha'd TGA textures. Together, they took 20 minutes to create.

(The ground prim and tree textures are added as presentation embellishments.)

Dennis @ DigArts

http://www.gardenhose.com