New Laptop

Thinking about making this purchase but I want to get some other thoughts.

$1876.00

(before all applicable rebates)

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 - bit

DISPLAY LCD: 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT LCD Display Max: 1680x1050 Pixels

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 CPU @ 2.66GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T

MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel® 945G & ICH7M Chipset Mainboard

MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD: Built-in NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT 512MB Supports up to 1GB Turbo Cache Technology Video

HARD DRIVE: 120GB 7200RPM SATA150 HARD DRIVE

OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE

SOUND: BUILT-IN AC 97 SOUND

Only thing I'm worried about at least at first glance is Windows Vista.

The e6700 chipset isn't available with XP I think only the T7xxx series are. This is at cyberpowerpc....this system look ok for a laptop that can be used for graphic programs like Autodesk Viz (3d Studio Max), Rhinoceros, Flamingo, VRay, and the typical CS3 bundle?

You could get a laptop with a desktop chip in it, but why would you? It's got a 266MHz advantage over a 2.4GHz mobile chip - we're talking about 10% here. The tradeoff is the E6700 has a full 30W higher thermal design spec, and the laptop costs about $600 more (I'm looking at their web site). 30W is a lot when we're talking about cooling a laptop, and you need to generate that heat by powering the CPU so the battery life isn't as good. And you need to buy Vista - there goes any performance advantag you might have got from the higher spec chip.

Also, when I Googled that company - I'd never heard of it, which isn't usually a good sign - I got a link to their site and a bunch of reviews that were less than stellar.

well, to be fair I'm not looking to purchase a quad core machine...I just need something to be mobile and able to render something while I'm away from school.

plus then I can work on building a new comp anyways. This damn thing doesn't have a large enough power supply to run all my fans correctly so I'm pretty sure my GPU and CPU have become fubar because of it.

i don't know what the rails part means but yeah...in this stupid thing I have a p4 and my northbridge fan blew out and I'm pretty sure the cpu fan barely moves...300W psu I think.

Plus the case is a little smaller than what it looked like on the screen so all those damn cables are all over the place, even with the zip ties.

I don't understand what you mean by highlighting that part, but that's an interesting link. It does make a good point about 12V amperage, but I think it's a bit confusing because it doesn't calculate the required 12V amperage. It tells me I need a 429W power supply, but that wouldn't really work because none of the 429W power supplies provide enough 12V amps to safely run an OC'ed quad core with an 8800 card and 4 hard drives.

I've seen mixed reviews about it and I have a desktop from them. Had a problem with a mobo but that was quickly resolved.

Other than that there hasn't been to many problems. Hopefully I'm another one of the 8 out of 10 that has a satisfactory experience, lol.

If I knew how to build them myself I would just do that, but alas I don't have the time right now to learn much less actually do it.