Onyx or Vue?

tasi55

Hi there people.

Im relatively new to all of this so please bare with me. I work in Max and have decided that I really need to invest in software that wil give me a good means of creating foliage/grass/trees. I mainly use Mental Ray but am considering investing in Vray. I have used Vue and personally found it impossible to work in. In max I create the model/building then tried to use vue to add vegetation. Problem is in view, you cant see the model, and in max, you cant see the vegetation until you hit render. Anyone know a workaround, without exporting my max model.

Also (sorry, I know this is long!!!), with Onyx, are the trees actually textured and mapped or just a simple diffuse colour. Would this be a better option than vue? Please help!

Never used Vue but I can give you my feelings on Onyx (which I love, having previously used NatFX).

First up, to answer your direct question, the Onyx trees are not textured by default - they're vertex coloured - but they're quite easy to apply textures to but obviously this requires a small amout of work, they're not 'out of the box' if you want textured trees.

I find the trees themselves are great, it comes with a huge library of trees that are ready to use. The random variations are nice, poly count control is straightforward and they're easy to place and manipulate within MAX. I guess if you're looking into Vray you'll want to be using Vray proxies to get the most rendering speed out of them as they can still have quite high poly counts.

The only downside for me - having moved from NatFX - is that there is no quick way to get a tree of a certain size/age - if its not in the library you have to create it. Having said that, the library is big to start with so there are plenty of base trees to start altering and once you've created trees of various sizes/ages your own library will be big enough that you won't need to do this too often.

Vue? well it renders really fast with astounding realism; however, it only renders with mental ray........and its an entirely different software that you need to master....

Onyx on the other hand is flexible, easy-to-use and generally gets the job done.....

Cheers

how you do this polycount control?

only by disabling some of items like twigs etc?

or is there another way to do this?

thanks a lot :)

from inside max > modify > treestorm > polygons > adjust

and there you adjust the leaves (polygon reduction) or any other value by moving the sliders (blue/green ...)

and you can also disable parts like you mentioned

Ciao german giraffe

Klaus

from inside max > modify > treestorm > polygons > adjust

and there you adjust the leaves (polygon reduction) or any other value by moving the sliders (blue/green ...)

and you can also disable parts like you mentioned

Ciao german giraffe

Klaus

thanks for the info.

I imagined a different control. I mean I imagined that we put one poly-number and when we modify tree, it automatically build trees less than that polycount.

hehehe. I think my imagination is so big.

btw I am not german. I am from turkiye.

• 2 weeks later...
i prefer xfrog (sorry out of your topic) it has the texture come together and the model is very detail. here is my sample rendering using xfrog palm. http://tukang3d.blogspot.com/2007/10/x-frog-realistic-trees.html

thanks

harris

http://tukang3d.blogspot.com

Hey Harris,

Thanks for the post, the palm tree looks perfect, are all the trees to this quality. Whats is the render time with xfrog like?