On-Line Object-Oriented Database Interface update

vizwhiz

hi There,

say,

check this out: yet another Idea for an ON-Line Object-Oriented Database: if this works better than the previous Interface then i will replace the LinkQuik Main Page with This:

http://www.viz2000.com/htma/0000-linkquik-alfa.html

PLEASE NOTE ONLY TWO ITEMS ARE LINKED SO FAR:

INTERIORS; Art work, and Flooring

(got to take my son to his violin lesson, be back later Today)

The reason for changing this Interface, is simple:

NO ONE COULD UNDERSTAND THE PREVIOUS VERSION:

i liked It, but, by using full words in English, the Page is now Translatable by using On-Line Language(s) Translators: watch out for the Machine Translation, they can be "mechanical" and sometimes quite "creative"

Let me know if this is Useful:

Thanks

Randy

if This works well, then there a Links to 100's of Textures, etc that i will further develop

Originally posted by vizwhiz:

ok, This may not be an Interesting Idea, if so i will gladly stop working on This

Then again it may. Which part is to be looked at? The matrix that you produced is great, really helpful. I did not look to translate the text into any of the languages I do not speak, although I was looking for a translator for 'alfa'. Do you perchance mean 'alpha'?

Yeah, like I can spell.

I like what you are trying to do with your site and the resource roundups, though I think WITHOUT a matrix or other organizing concept the volume of material and catagories quickly gets out of hand. I was trying to follow the entourage options the other day on your site (from the links you posted here) and found it difficult.

hi There

Ernest,

Thanks for the reply. how do i quote something? from your quote? well, anywho. here goes.

Do you perchance mean 'alpha'?

i am trying to make a user-friendly Interface to a large amount of "useful cg objects". the 1st attempt is the Matrix, which makes logical sense to me (but eludes most Others). after a comment by TAKA last week, i decided that i liked his Idea better (do the List of Links alphabetically) than my previous idea, the Matrix. (see this "previous" Link)

http://www.viz2000.com/htm0/0000-linkquik.html

so now there is: alphabetically

Cars, Exteriors, Interiors, Landscape, People, Site, Skys, Water

i usually separate my projects, into:

Site, Exterior, Interior, and later Landscape, Skys, then maybe People, Cars and maybe some kind of Fountain/Lake/Water Feature.

(i live in Arizona so there isnt that much Water out here, normally 7 inches of rain a year and we are going thru a major drought. it was only 107 F today which is apprx 43 or 44+/- C)

originally i arbitrarily decided to use 3 major categories, Interior, Exterior and Site, but somethings just want to go somewhere else. so now, i have this newer version of an Interface. which i think (i hope is) be more user-friendly.

http://www.viz2000.com/htma/0000-linkquik-alfa.html

did this make more sense? using the "alfa" version. i have used the AIA layering standard for so long i even write in 4 four letter words, "anal eyes" is one combination that comes tomy Mind.

do the "alfa" categories make logical sense? you are either outside or inside. unless you are doing an animation and a walk-thru. but for (my) modeling everything is stationary. i was trying to organize by logical areas. so instead of separating Plug-ins, 2d Maps, 3d Objects i decided to put everything similar about "Landscape" etc, into one place, and then list the next page alphabetically also.

next step is to come up with a small column in front of the external Link that indicates what kind of Link it is: Maps, Plug-in, 3d Object.

by using full-words the Names of Categories are now translatable "French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish" automatically using Google. and these Links/website can be translated by additional Languages, too.

just a different way of organizing. i dont know if i can keep both of these going, tho.

but maybe should chose one or the other formats, Alphabetically or the Matrix Index. or then again the actual hard part is finding Links to Items. (WHICH I WISH OTHER PEOPLE WOULD SEND IN THEN I COULD SPEND MORE TIME FORMATTING THE LINKS INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR THEM) (subliminal hint #0)

just an Idea

i am trying to get some feedback on This b4 putting a LOT MORE substantial Effort into This.

any and all Ideas comments suggestions are greatly appreicated.

Thanks

Randy

Hi vizwhiz,

The list with topics is much easier to read than the matrix imho, but why don't you add a search engine too?

We had the same problem categorizing stuff with our updated webpage (not online yet) and eventually realised it to be impossible to have it all nicely structured, so we choose a keyword-based search-system. As this is extremely powerful, you'll end up with ways you've never thought of before. I really recommend this approach.

rgds

nisus

hi There

Nisus,

hey glad you are back

so where do i get one of these Search Engines?

That is really a great Idea, can you suggest an Engine?

which one are you using? (is it Free?)

will gladly Implement This, (if i can figure out how to do It)

briefly checked into mySQL (etc) way over my pointed little head

point in a good direction (a swift kick) and i will be on my way (to improving the website)

Thanks for the Feedback

how was the Vacation?

Thanks

Randy

• Administrators

You really need a server side language like ASP, PHP etc in combo with a database to do effective searhcing. You can however do text searching. Check out http://www.atomz.com/, I'm not sure if they still offer a free version. I think Google does this too, but unless you pay they don't crawl your pages all the time.

hi There

Jeff

can ASP or PHP read html?

or do i need to re-write the website to accomodate a search Engine?

i briefly looked at mySQl the other day, ouch

it would take me years to get up to speed with that

i am doing the best i can with the few brain cells i still got left (that 60's show, thats me)

Thanks

any and all information helps

Randy

• Administrators

As this is getting OT, I've responded here:

http://www.cgarchitect.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=24&t=000061

Originally posted by vizwhiz:

hi There

Jeff

can ASP or PHP read html?

or do i need to re-write the website to accomodate a search Engine?

i briefly looked at mySQl the other day, ouch

it would take me years to get up to speed with that

i am doing the best i can with the few brain cells i still got left (that 60's show, thats me)

Thanks

any and all information helps

Randy