Anybody run DR as a service?

Aaron2004

could be off base but I have read about similar problems when running backburner server as a service.

You have to be sure that the account which launches the service (the computer admin not necessarily the account that you log in as) has permission to access all the network shares.

Probably too much garbldee-goop to be real helpful but google search for backburner service and I'd bet you'll find your answer.

we've been fighting this one as well without much luck. We are trying to kick our whole farm on as a service when people log-out, problem is when run as service we don't get the permissions as you've found. we are yet to come up with a solution so if you happen to come across one I'd love to hear it so we can quit banging out heads against the wall.... :(

I still might be off but this is what I was talking about. I'll butt out now.

A service runs as a separate user, and usually a very restricted one (usually System).

You have to go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services and select the Server service, right-click it > Properties and set the username and password of a user who has access to the maps, shares, etc.

Hope this helps,

Alexander

and I found here? who'd a thunk it?

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/7917-backburner-server-service-serversvc.html

Hello,

it doesn't pick up the materials on the network...but when I remove the service, all is well.

I had that same exact experience when I first tried to run DR as a service. What fixed it for me was using UNC file naming for my materials. A bunch of guys on the Chaos forum had the exact opposite experience though. They had to use mapped drives in order to get the materials. So I'm thinking it has something to do with the way the network is setup. But it is working for me and I love it. The DR computers don't even need to be logged into the network for me to use them so it's pretty fool proof. I don't have to worry about people forgetting to do a couple of different things to their computer before they leave for the evening. As long as the computer is on...I can use it.

Matt,

I don't know if you actually have done this yourself, or if you are just pointing me in the direction of that other thread, but if you HAVE done it, did you have a problem with adding that username in? Each time I add my username and password, it claims that either I don't exist or my password is wrong.

Thanks!

Aaron