2 all Australian, i need your help.

dagor

wow there are companies. The standard of work leaves some to be desired, but then again i don't know how much they are charging. But hoestly, compared to stuff you see on the internet, those guys aren't really all that great.

Some of those don't really qualify as companies though. I mean in that case you could add my http://www.ace5studios.com to the list, but i'm not really a company.

wow there are companies. The standard of work leaves some to be desired, but then again i don't know how much they are charging. But hoestly, compared to stuff you see on the internet, those guys aren't really all that great.

Some of those don't really qualify as companies though. I mean in that case you could add my www.ace5studios.com to the list, but i'm not really a company.

lol if you bothered to try looking you would find heaps! there is alot of work around if you look and have decent skills.

Some of those don't really qualify as companies though. I mean in that case you could add my www.ace5studios.com to the list, but i'm not really a company.

Probably not the wisest thing to say about your local industry (and possibly your future employers)... a lot of which reside on this website ;)

Maybe so, but what he said is true. There is a mixed bag of quality in that selection. Although I know for a fact that several of those websites are out of date so dont give an accurate indication of quality. Which is a pity for them.

Australia is going through tremendous growth so there is plenty of work around. I for one have enough work lined up to keep me very busy for a while. We also stuggle to find good quality people to hire. I am not talking about freash graduates, but people with experience. I know that we are not the only ones in this situation. Even sort term contractors are in short supply.

At the same time it is difficult to get your foot in the door here. Often you will here "What Australian experience do you have?". Once you are in it much easier.

jhv

shaneis: good point, but i doubt they will be employing me any time soon as at the moment employment doesn't look all that lucrative. At the moment freelancing seems to have a much better work to money ratio.

What do you mean by people with experience? Like i understand why you don't want graduates, i've seen the level of work they produce, exactly the reason i decided not to go to uni for vizualization or any other kind of 3d work for that matter. So what do you mean be experience, just for the sake of experience, or do you actually judge by the quality of work that they output?

And how do i find these people who are in short supply of contractors?

There are two kinds of people we are always on the search for,

First those who can just jump into a project with out us holding their hand every step of the way. Once the basic file structure and project systems are explained they must be able to run with the project, be disiplined enough to follow through to deadline and be able to produce images of a desired quality.

and the second, problably the most difficult to find is someone with the "eye". Anyone can be taught to model, its a learnt skill. But rendering in its fine points is difficult to teach or explain. Its not just a bunch of settings but rather how those numbers are put together to produce something special. Its about telling a story to the viewer. There are very few who can do this and even fewer who can do this well.

I have seen a few portfolios where the image is technically poor but there is that something in them that makes the image work. Its those people that I want. There must be a desire and passion.

I am not interested in those people who obsess about every tiny bit of detail, but rather some one who can lay down the broad strokes of an idea and then go on to develope it into a great piece. Too many images have great amouts of detail, where how long it took to render the image is more important than the image itself. Its all lost because they forgot to tell a story.

jhv

There are two kinds of people we are always on the search for,

First those who can just jump into a project with out us holding their hand every step of the way. Once the basic file structure and project systems are explained they must be able to run with the project, be disiplined enough to follow through to deadline and be able to produce images of a desired quality.

and the second, problably the most difficult to find is someone with the "eye". Anyone can be taught to model, its a learnt skill. But rendering in its fine points is difficult to teach or explain. Its not just a bunch of settings but rather how those numbers are put together to produce something special. Its about telling a story to the viewer. There are very few who can do this and even fewer who can do this well.

I have seen a few portfolios where the image is technically poor but there is that something in them that makes the image work. Its those people that I want. There must be a desire and passion.

I am not interested in those people who obsess about every tiny bit of detail, but rather some one who can lay down the broad strokes of an idea and then go on to develope it into a great piece. Too many images have great amouts of detail, where how long it took to render the image is more important than the image itself. Its all lost because they forgot to tell a story.

jhv

Well said.

Hardf to quantify sometimes, especially when you deal with mindless twats who are only interested in how good you make the views appear despite the final composition.

I regularly tell myself to stop looking at the computer, and look at the image. Hard to do for 18hrs a day.

If you are looking for contract work / freelance you may also have trouble as many visualization offices in Australia (im my experience) prefer to employ full time staff and train them up to be part of a team rather than take a risk on a expensive freelancer who may or may not be up to scratch or fit in. Its a bit of a risk employing unknown freelancers unless you are really stuck for staff.

Also depends what the studio structure is like, as to who they employ. Some studios have small groups of non hierachical similiarly talented artists that do most tasks while others have a junior/senior type of arrangement. i.e you start by arranging trees or modelling simple stuff and slowly learn more and take on responsibility.

If you are looking for contract work / freelance you may also have trouble as many visualization offices in Australia (im my experience) prefer to employ full time staff and train them up to be part of a team rather than take a risk on a expensive freelancer who may or may not be up to scratch or fit in. Its a bit of a risk employing unknown freelancers unless you are really stuck for staff.

Also depends what the studio structure is like, as to who they employ. Some studios have small groups of non hierachical similiarly talented artists that do most tasks while others have a junior/senior type of arrangement. i.e you start by arranging trees or modelling simple stuff and slowly learn more and take on responsibility.

hm... well hm... maybe i'll just have to go find a different career path. I'm really not good with this senior junior thing, and most definately don't want to be tied down on one job for more than a year. I mean i see the logic behind it, just don't really want to spend that much time on arranging trees.

Well we'll see how this year turns out, after all i just finished highshool, so i got time to poke around and see what i should do.

Thanks for the suggestions, and appologies for hi-jacking the thread.

• 1 year later...