Help on scaling in autocad 2008

ace1721

Hi there!

I am a student of autocad 2008. I was confused when my instructor explains about scales. Here in PI we use metric system.

My question is.... First before you start your work you must set your units to millimeter, right? Then how would you set your drawings to 1:50mts or 1:100mts. Like every line/ measurement that you put were all in 1:50mts. or 1:100mts.

Another, if you already set upped your drawings to 1:50mts or 1:100mts., you cannot avoid to do a spot details, right? You usually use a bigger scale in this for instance like 1:20mts how can you change your scale in your drawing in this spot detail drawing.

How that theres someone who can teach me how to do this step by step. I'm no fast learner and need to have a patient helper/teacher to explain to me.

Sorry and thanks in advance! PLEASE!!!!:confused: :confused: :(

You should learn how to use ViewPorts (VP) and adjust there Scale settings.

There are a lot of thinks you can do with viewports, so it is to complex to write it all down here.

You can also rotate your VP relative to your ModelSpace (MS)

This way you can also draw one side of a symetrical object and let it plot both sides (to make 2 viewport, one rotated 180 in X or Y).

You can read that there is a lot to do with VP's, so learn the basics of scaling them first, and after you adjusted the scale I recommend that you lock them to avoid mistakes of re-scaling.

Good Luck.

Hi, I also use metric system.

Autocad draws vectors, so its kinda easy to scale up or down latter. using scale/reference

What I do is to use absolute scale. Thats 1= 1 unit of whatever. Lets say I have a building, 20 mts height, thats 20 units.

l=20 click. done

now, to the detail. I draw detail as to scale, either in defferent spaces in the drawing, or in different drawings. I have differnts pens for diferent scales. If your detail should go bigger, you can scale it right up, or have it scaled in the viewports, assuming you handle viewports.

the only trick to have in mind is to the creation of the page to be printed. if you draw in milimiters, it would be printed in 1 to 1, if its in mts (1 unit one meter) it would be 1/100 and so on.

If you need assistance with this let me know. (scaling, papper space, layouts, pen set up, lt scale, etc)

as an extra you can check cadalyst magazine, very nice tips and tricks every day.

oist kabayan!

worry about scale issues later for printing (layout tabs). all you have to do is to draw everything in a 1:1 scale, i.e. 1 drawing unit = 1 mm, 1000 du = 1000 mm.

say, if you want to draw a 4m x 6m rectangle, you input 4000 & 6000. and if you want to go on details, you have 1 du for 1 mm. this way you may have large and small drawings in model tab.

when your drawings are done, switch to layout tab where you will have a preview of the paper size you're gonna print. use MVIEW or MV command to put viewports. double-click insie a viewport then zoom/pan on a part of the drawing, say a floor plan. center on the plan then use ZOOM again then type 1/100xp for a scale of 1:100, 1/50xp for 1:50, 1xp for 1:1 and so on.

hope this helps

erona

oist kabayan!

when your drawings are done, switch to layout tab where you will have a preview of the paper size you're gonna print. use MVIEW or MV command to put viewports. double-click inside a viewport then zoom/pan on a part of the drawing, say a floor plan. center on the plan then use ZOOM again then type 1/100xp for a scale of 1:100, 1/50xp for 1:50, 1xp for 1:1 and so on.

hope this helps

erona

Good that hteres a kababayan whois replying to my querries.

On the MV part is where i am little confused. Please elaborate a little about this. And discuss this in detail.:confused: How can i center or move the plan on the viewport.

Also on the 1/100xp and so on.Where will i trype this or pick this.This aint no command right?

Thanks for your help! And sorry for being ignorance.:(:confused: :confused:

Hope this isn't confusing it took me ages to get my head around this too

you must understand what your doing. Its like you have two sheets of paper. The first sheet is the one you are drawing on and the second one is your layout sheet (MS and PS Model space and paper space). On your layout sheet when you use MV it's like you are punching a hole in the layout sheet and looking at your model through this. Thus the more you zoom out the scale changes. 1:1 becomes 1:2, zoom out 1:10 etc. that is where the 1/100xp comes in. when you make your view you can double click in it and it will bring you into your first sheet of paper (MS) through your second sheet (layout) (PS). When you are in this you can press zoom extents and it will do that but if you press z Enter 1/100xp it will give you a scale of 1:100 and so on. Its important that you understand what is exactly happening and once you get your head around it you will never have any more worries. One thing also that your layout (PS) is where you put your say A3 title block so this has to be at 1:1 and the right dimensions for A3 (420x297mm I think:)

hope this helps and doesn't mess your head up too much :)

Forgot also when you double click in your Made View (MV) as I said you can move around and set your scale z Enter 1/100xp. Here is where you centre your view and if you have set your scale already to keep this just pan because if you don't and zoom as well you will have to set your scale again (z enter 1/100xp)

Best of luck