onyxtree and vrayproxy

nelpiper

Hi. I am having a issue with onyxtree and vray proxy. I export the onyx model as .obj element and import into MAX. When I put it to the scene, it comes in bits (trunk, leaves, branches, etc). So far, so good. The problem starts when I texturize it and make it a vrayproxy. When I turne it into a proxy, it recognizes only one of the bits (either leaves, or trunk, or branches). When I try to duplicate the proxy, it becomes incomplete and I also loose the textures. Is this because of the .obj? Is this the best extension to import to 3ds max? If not, what would be? Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Even though we've had TreeStorm for awhile now I'm still not sure of the best way to work with it. We have Max 2009 with V-ray. I've read all the posts here and get bits and pieces of the puzzle. We've had all the problems I've read about here. Trees don't look full enough, stock trees are too small, any attempt at building a full enough tree with enough detail crashes Max or won't proxy because of it's size, etc.

I read about collapsing to mesh, attaching, uvw, opacity maps, etc. I guess I'm asking if somebody can summarize for me the (A good) process of getting an Onyx tree into Max and then getting it proxied with textures on it. I need to understand the whole picture but need enough detail so that I can replicate the process myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...i am really keen to see where this discussion goes.. We've been using XFROG for a while and whilst we love it and it is easy to proxy, it has its own funny things going on like placing all the trees and getting to look good, closing max, opening it and the trees are all over the place and out of scale. It is irrorating to say the least. Now we xref it and that seems to work but makes it a mission everytime you want to move it you have to go to the original file. Why things cannot just work??????:rolleyes::confused: