OnyxTree 32bit to 64bit - caution!

novelh

I recently upgraded 3ds Max 2008 from 32bit to 64bit (because of memory problems). I then installed the 64bit version of the OnyxTree Tree Storm plugin. The original file I was working on in 32bit kept crashing each time I tried to render. After a detailed dissection of the file/errors it turned out to be OnyxTree that was causing the problems. After I detached ALL of the trees it rendered fine. Turns out that the plugin embeds some 32bit info on each tree that does not translate well into 64bit.

I then plugged in some trees from the new 64bit plugin and the file soon crashed again. I had to resort to exporting each species out to .3ds files and instancing them around the model. I'm not sure their x64 plugin is ironed out yet.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. If you know of a solution to this please fill me in. Thanks

Interesting. So in 32 bit, you can load up your scene with several trees with no crashing? I have 64 bit and I thought it was a memory problem. I'm glad I didn't go get the extra ram to try and solve the problem. For now, creating vrayproxies is my work around as well.

Yes the problem comes at render time.

I emailed OnyxTree support regarding this and got the following response:

Quote: "Some of our customers have reported similar difficulties but we have not been able to pinpoint the problem yet because Tree Storm works fine on our 64-bit system. Can you, please, send us the Max file which is

causing you the problems so we can test it on our system. If it is very

large in size, we would appreciate if you can make it smaller (more

portable) but showing the same problem."

I also mentioned as to how come the Bamboo library was not available through the 3ds Max plugin and their response was...

Quote: "No, they are not. Tree Storm includes Broadleaf trees, Conifer trees, and Palms. Bamboos and Flowers have to be imported via 3DS."

The problem with resorting to .3ds files is that it is heavy on the viewports unless you resort to bounding boxes but then you lose the detail needed for placement. Oh well. I'm using Mental Ray. Is there something similar to vrayproxies for that renderer and how does that help?

• 1 month later...
man, i even have a problem "planting" the trees. I get a new scene and as I go along placing them, max crashes, before i even reach half of the total memory. it doesn't happen with other models. only with these trees..

any ideas? :\

I ended up deleting all of my existing trees and brought them all in as 3ds files. It was the only reliable way that I found.

I wish that Onyx trees came pre-mapped. Know any good sites to get some tree textures?

yea, but how can i bring the trees as 3ds files, if i cannot even make them! :)

and I need them to be random seeds. Not just one with different rotation.

I am using treestorm plugin for max, by the way. not the tree maker onyx software.

I have a really good site for free textures. I don't know if there are any for trees. you can check it. it's http://www.cgtextures.com. take care

yea, but how can i bring the trees as 3ds files, if i cannot even make them! :)

and I need them to be random seeds. Not just one with different rotation.

I am using treestorm plugin for max, by the way. not the tree maker onyx software.

I have a really good site for free textures. I don't know if there are any for trees. you can check it. it's http://www.cgtextures.com. take care

tree storm comes with all the tree creation programs...broadleaf, conifer, palm and bamboo...

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the midst of needind to purchase a decent package for Trees and foliage (RPC's just aren't cutting it for animation). I am running MAX 2008 64 bit.

Do the issues with Onyx and 64-bit only with previous models that were created in 32-bit or are they occuring with new scenes created in 64-bit?

As always I am under tight dseadline and can't afford to trouble shoot. Onyx appears to be the best product for the money but ifd it doesn't work than I need an alternate solution. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The truth is that I recently purchased the 64bit treeStorm plugin for MAX and I had more problems than before with the 32bit. it crushes MAX more often. You can import 3DS files from onyx tree though as the creators say and it'll be fine. of course you'll have to turn them into vRay proxies afterwards, otherwise I don't know how it's possible to render them (talking about vast number always). hope I helped :)

I am in the midst of needind to purchase a decent package for Trees and foliage (RPC's just aren't cutting it for animation). I am running MAX 2008 64 bit.

Do the issues with Onyx and 64-bit only with previous models that were created in 32-bit or are they occuring with new scenes created in 64-bit?

As always I am under tight dseadline and can't afford to trouble shoot. Onyx appears to be the best product for the money but ifd it doesn't work than I need an alternate solution. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Terry - remember me?

Anyway, the workaround of converting your tree's to 3ds files in the tree editing app (separate from the 3dsMax plugin) works fine and doesn't really interfere with work flow too terribly. I find myself creating a handful of tree's in there, and after a while, have developed a nice library, which I can re-use.

It is nice to use the plugin and procedurally alter a tree quickly to make it different, and I suppose you can collapse those to editable mesh's before you render and be fine. If you are using VRay, proxy them.

How are things btw? Still at EUA? Doing 3d I take it, very cool :)

Hey Vince,

That seems like alright workaround but for the time being I may just stick with a Dosch library that I have. I need shrubs as well and was debating if I should spend 150 on that or just spend the 600 on Onyx. What do you think?

Still doing animation. I recently began REDgraphx, Inc. which specializes in marketing tools for developers... Renderings, Animations, branding, websites, etc.

Unfortunately my site is not completed yet but will be soon. redgraphx.com

Shoot me an email with your contact info.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having a similar problem....i have converted all my Onyz trees to proxies, and am using the 64 bit plugin....it does a couple prepasses, but usually crashes during the second prepass. My vray error log tells me my dynamic memory is too low? what does this mean?

for every proxies you create, max will need to allocate memories for them. there are mainly two types of 'memory' dedicated just for proxies in Vray (system tab). they are 'dynamic' and 'static'. dynamic uses resources during render time meaning that they don't have a designated memory size for them. static, however, uses the amount of memories you tell it to (right above the pull down for type of memory). when i use onyx, i set it as static and approximate how many trees i have and times that number by the file size for each vray meshes. what that will do is give you a number of how much you will need to give it to vray/max to hold those proxies.

try switching to static and set your memory size according to amount of proxies in your scene. so vray can pull it out of it instead of competing with other resources at play. if the log tells you the memory is too low at that point, try upping the memory sizes.

as always...i could be wrong

well how can i thank you enough! so i looked at my memory, it was already set to static, but the limit was only at 400mb. so i did my calculations....and i must tell you my scene is QUITE intense! i'm working on a zoo project in southern CA so its thick with landscape and rocks, all made into proxies. I have nearly 2000 proxies, so i went with the high number and increased the memory to around 100,000mb, worked like a charm! then just for kicks, i increased it again to 200,000, and it rendered nearly 20 seconds faster, just under 3 minutes.

so i'm wondering what it tops out at? and by increasing it, am i sacrificing anything else?

again, thanks a million!