Modelling furniture?

jophus14

Yes, I'm no expert on modelling. But if the furniture needs to be seen in closeup, the detail would be required. If you use the extrude technique without tessellating first, the edges will be too hard and the form too boxy and turbosmooth will not soften things the desired amount. Also, if used correctly on the finished piece, the Optimize modifier can greatly reduce the vertices in the large areas while preserving the details.

but file is also becomes heavy..... n its vry hard 2 work on that file... so what shall i do for this???

Guest nazcaLine

hi everybody.

if you want to learn to model furniture, the best advice i can give you is to learn from character tutorials, like the one on Joanne d arc (a classic) and also tuts about modelling cars, planes, etc. some years ago i tried to make an audi from scratch and the result was accdeptable. then i made a plane on my own and was acceptable too. if you can model joanne d'arc, a car or a plane, then a furniture is PIECE OF CAKE.

look for some tuts in this site, they're very good also.

right now i'm in the middle of a huge job in the office, i have to model ALL the furniture for an animation of a huge apartment. all this with only photos and dimensions of the furniture, i did every model you see in those images, nothing is library.

max 8 and vray 1.5

these are only drafts, the final animation is still months away

Eduardo

Guest nazcaLine

oh, and about that sofa...this isn't a tutorial, but rather some tips about how i did a very similar sofa:

1.-create a plane, every segment intersection will be one of the "holes"

2.-select the vertices and chamfer them. the bigger the chamfer the softer the final look

3.-cut the neccesary diagonal between holes, select polys and extrude inward, inset polys, extrude again.

4.-select diagonal edges and chamfer, select those polys and extrude inwards

5.-apply meshsmooth

voila...

hope this helps.

Eduardo

hi everybody.

if you want to learn to model furniture, the best advice i can give you is to learn from character tutorials, like the one on Joanne d arc (a classic) and also tuts about modelling cars, planes, etc. some years ago i tried to make an audi from scratch and the result was accdeptable. then i made a plane on my own and was acceptable too. if you can model joanne d'arc, a car or a plane, then a furniture is PIECE OF CAKE.

look for some tuts in this site, they're very good also.

right now i'm in the middle of a huge job in the office, i have to model ALL the furniture for an animation of a huge apartment. all this with only photos and dimensions of the furniture, i did every model you see in those images, nothing is library.

max 8 and vray 1.5

these are only drafts, the final animation is still months away

Eduardo

can u tel me whtz dat Joanne d arc?? n from where i get these tutorials.? i will be really thankful to u for this..

Guest nazcaLine
I think the better result could be achieved by extruding vertices on step 2 instead of chamfer.

extruding the vertexes would create an inverted pyramid, i didn't want that (avoid always triangular polys)

or maybe i didn't understand what you meant.

cheers

Eduardo

Yes nazcaLine, your are right but after u chamfer edges there wil not be any triangle polygons. Just simple way but for good result u have to model like these.(See pictures from Archi tutor)

can u tell us where this tutorial is ??

Guest nazcaLine

yes, i also want to know!!

that method is more accurate but also much more time consuming, i'm trying to find some balance between detail and worktime. (due to the huge amount of furniture i have to make)

here i found a tut about making wrinkles, which helped me a lot to "un-stiffen" the furniture (what a phrase)

http://www.todddaniele.com/Tutorial-lesson03.htm

cheers

Eduardo