Asai

Devin Johnston

The simplest test is 'Are you a professional?' In other words, are you doing this for a living and do you take the profession seriously? If you get paid to doodle on cocktail napkins, then that works for me. But if you are just a hobbyist who is doing this for fun, then that doesn't work for me.

It's not to degrade hobbyists, but these are professional organizations. And despite all that has happened in the past twenty years with our profession, there are still plenty of people out there who think that we just putz around with computers all day, so why should we be taken seriously. Granted, it's substantially less of a problem now, but it still exists.

Measuring professionalism is not about testing for knowledge, but testing for attitude. You can see it in how people present themselves professionally. Is there a functioning website? Does the phone get answered professionally, either by a person or machine? Do the deal with clients well? And if they're starting out, do they want to learn about how to run a business, write contracts, market themselves, and otherwise function in a professional way? The barriers aren't high, and just about all of us would meet them. But it's important that the barriers be there.

-Ian

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a very interesting. I love the idea of some type of entrance exam or test. If there is no stardardization....it seems the association has less clout.

Sure off the top of my head, this seems to be a logistical nightmare. But I think this is very important in establishing creditability. just my 2...

I'd love to be involved in helping the industry outside Aus too, - but I'd prefer to sign up to ASAI when it's renamed GSAI, G for Global.

As for the entrance issue and professionalism - the existing cost entry is a starting point for weeding out a good majority of the tire kickers.

Further qualification or benchmarks would add more value yes, to a point where you could put a few extra little letters after your name on your business card.

Edited by Adrian Bold
more info

you could join the AAAI Australian Association of Architectural Illustrators http://www.aaai.ws

good people there! Tasmania counts as part of Australia, no?

It might add more value, however it might also become the refuge of scoundrels as most great artists take pleasure in NOT towing the line, and joining an official society - and this would only embolden them further. If the practice is unregulated by government, than having a barrier to official entry may encourage the people doing great, but unconventional work to thumb their noses at it. Which is not what you want in a society dedicated to dialogue about the art.

As far as not letting people in because they aren't professional enough...Ian I'm gonna part ways with you, despite my faith and appreciation of your leadership of NYSR. It just seems to me if they have an interest and want to support the organization than they should be let in, in the end it almost makes you (A+I) look better that these are your competitors. But hey, your call, you're the one busting your hump doing the volunteer work. :)

Edited by jkletzien

Hi, I'm new to this topic, co can anyone please answer to this questions?

1. ...We are challenging members of our community to join the ASAI and volunteer 40 hours of your time over the course of a year to help grow the ASAI and expand its offering to meet the demands and expectations of its members and the industry...

^

How does it look like in real life, for Europians? In which way you can donate your 40h per year?

2. SIMPLY POST YOUR NAME TO REGISTER YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE LINK PROVIDED ABOVE

^

Where to post name? This thread is marked as closed

3. Is the participation still opened?

1. ...We are challenging members of our community to join the ASAI and volunteer 40 hours of your time over the course of a year to help grow the ASAI and expand its offering to meet the demands and expectations of its members and the industry...

^

How does it look like in real life, for Europians? In which way you can donate your 40h per year?

2. SIMPLY POST YOUR NAME TO REGISTER YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE LINK PROVIDED ABOVE

^

Where to post name? This thread is marked as closed

3. Is the participation still opened?

Hi there.

Jeff Mottle is managing the list. You would simply have to agree to participate by starting a new post to that effect right here. Many who have volunteered to offer personal voluteer time have chosen to join ranks with the ASAI at http://www.asai.org

Voluntary tasks have not yet been identified, but it might be helpful if Jeff were to get a status update and post to this thread for all to see.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Yes

I'm not sure being a member of an American organization would directly benefit you in Europe. It all depends on what direction the ASAI decides to go in, right now they are focused on copy right issues but I think this thread has indicated that people would like to see them tackle more practical matters like contract disputes and online forums. Some of those things would be a benefit to everyone regardless of where you live.

• 3 weeks later...

Well even 28 people is alot. Think what 28 can achieve if their efforts are guided.....hello?

hello?

Hellooooo?

I was thinking about this thread yesterday. If I ran an entity that had very limited resources and 28 people offered to give their time to help me out, I would leap at the opportunity to harness that resource.

• 3 weeks later...

28 does seem small, but I guess a lot of people might worry about volunteering without knowing exactly what they'll be asked to do!

I'm considering adding my name to the list, but would rather wait to see a little how this pans out towards benefiting those outside the US before I commit... Others might feel the same, so it may be that numbers are added gradually rather than all at the beginning.

I've relatively recently joined the UK equivalent (the SAI) and would rather commit any spare time towards helping them out at the moment. But I'm certainly keeping an interested eye on this thread...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ok, so far I've only been given one item, but am going to following up again tonight to see if I can get some more items.

Right now they are looking for some people to start a database of editor and contact e-mails and/or web addresses for magazines, newspapers and art and/or illustration websites who might be interested in posting news about ASAI and the Hugh Ferriss Memorial Prize and our AIP shows in particular.

If you would like to volunteer for this, I'm going to take the first 2 people to volunteer and put you in touch with the proper people. If they need more I will post here again.

Stay tuned for more tasks.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

I think more than anything, organizations like the ASAI provide a level of credibility, networking abilities (would be nice to have some asai events in chicago!!!!) - and hopefully some advertising on the part of their members. As an architect and interior designer I had never even heard of the ASAI until it was mentioned to me by another member of the organization. It might be a good idea for them to invest in advertising in the magazenes that members of the aia and asid get as perks of their membership (architectural record, coastal living, southern accents) and another architect favorite - dwell... maybe work with the aia and asid to put out info at their events too...

I would be interested in contributing my time, but need to know what i'd be doing :)

This is a wonderful forum by the way - very happy to be part of your community! :p