testing with creating 2d background trees from onyx

SgWRX

besides the issue i previously posted, just wanted to run the procedure by anyone to see if this is about right or if there is a better way to do it?

so to make decent bg 2d trees, i tweak a tree in onyx. then use the save as tga option and check the use alpha and check DXF panel.

then i import the DXF panel as an "entity" and apply the tga file to the panel as a material. i put the tga file in the diffuse color slot and copy it to the opacity map slot. in the opacity map, i set "mono channel output" to alpha.

from here, in order to create a tree line for example, i would need to instance many of these panels.

oh, the tga file, i set the ISIP height, like to 1024.

so, like i said, just throwing this out there to see if this is a good way etc... thanks.

I've been using this method for a while, but i just decided to buy some images from ambient light. Its faster and i find i get alot more control by just putting them in with PS afterwards. I did some really quick 2d boards using onyx in this image here

...a better way to do it?

I use Onyx trees and V-Ray proxies to make 2d tree images for use with Forest Pro.

I will use one high-poly tree and render four different views of it as a targa with an opacity map. I then create a Multi-SubObject material, populate it with my targas, and vary the RGB output values of each one slightly, just to get a little more variation.

I use instances of V-Ray proxies in the foreground and Forest Pro planes in the backgound. With this technique, All of the trees render out with identical lighting and it makes the transition from 3d trees to 2d trees more seamless.

Here is a recent project where I used this approach:

I use Onyx trees and V-Ray proxies to make 2d tree images for use with Forest Pro.

I will use one high-poly tree and render four different views of it as a targa with an opacity map. I then create a Multi-SubObject material, populate it with my targas, and vary the RGB output values of each one slightly, just to get a little more variation.

I use instances of V-Ray proxies in the foreground and Forest Pro planes in the backgound. With this technique, All of the trees render out with identical lighting and it makes the transition from 3d trees to 2d trees more seamless.

Very nice. I'm yet to get a job where i need a lot of trees. But your workflow including forest pro sounds like a great idea for a job with many trees. Thanks for sharing.

great. i was just playing with forest lite and i think i should buy it. that was one of my questions - could i use onyx to create trees and then forest them out.

one other question about panel trees. it seems obvious, but if my sun is behind the trees such that they are in the "shadow" there's not really a way to deal with that is there? i mean, does forest pro have the same issue?

otherwise i'd guess it's just up to faking light or playing with output to get them out of the shadows.

...if my sun is behind the trees such that they are in the "shadow" there's not really a way to deal with that is there? i mean, does forest pro have the same issue?

otherwise i'd guess it's just up to faking light...

The way I like to handle this problem is to place four direct light instances opposing one another and pointed at the scene. Select a light and have it only illuminate your Forest Pro trees. I do this regardless of where my light source is.

It is all fake anyways right?

please see in red

I will use one high-poly tree and render four different views u mean four fifferent elevations.ie. front back left and right? of it as a targa with an opacity map. I then create a Multi-SubObject material, populate it with my targas,how do u poulate it . i havent understood it that how u use those four images in multisuboject material and vary the RGB output values of each one slightly, just to get a little more variation.

i have understood the proxy part but can u tell me more about the forest part

how do u combine that forest part and the multisuboject material that u made? Can u explain more on it

Thanks and regards

Four different elevations is correct.

To populate a Multi Sub-object material with the tree maps, I open the Sub-Material with ID 1 and first change the material type from "Standard" to "Planes Material." Planes Material is a unique Forest Pro material consisting of a Base Material and Shadow Textures. Under the Base material, I select the diffuse and opacity maps that I want to use. The RGB Level of the diffuse map can be found under Output. Under the Shadow Textures, I select the shadow maps that i want to use. I use a generic shadow map that I created in Photoshop.

I repeat this process 4-6 times for the rest of the tree maps.

I assign this Multi Sub-object material to the "forest object" that Forest Pro creates for me within Max. The forest object has several parameters and one of them is "Material." Under the Material tab I select "Custom" and it uses the previously assigned Multi Sub-object Material. It also allows me to vary the distribution values for each material ID.

Forest Pro gives you similiar distribution functionality to Max's "Scatter" command and the same geometry referencing functionality as Max's "Particle Systems."

You can go to www.itoosoft.com and download Forest for free or just buy Forest Pro and get acquainted with it much more intimately.

Hope this helps...now GO CRAZY with it.

so here's a nutty question/experience.

i have my tga file from onyx. it contains an alpha channel. with a standard max material, i can put that file in the opacity map slot and not have any problems. with an arch&design material, i thought i could drop that same tga file in the cutout slot and get the same. but maybe it has to be a separate black & white image? if i use a black & white checker map in cutout, it works fine. what i end up with is a faded gray image of the tree. the panel is transparent though. hm. i've tried to read up on this but apparently haven't found the right spot yet.

thanks again.

well there is something funny going on for sure. if i take the tga file from onyx with the alpha channel into PS, i can view the alpha channel. when i delete the other channels, the alpha channel remains grey. i can select it and fill it with white, then save it as a separate file _a.tga and apply that to the cutout of the arch & design material and the panel renders fine. so it's either this or use standard material. still haven't found much on this.

• 1 month later...

I use instances of V-Ray proxies in the foreground and Forest Pro planes in the backgound.

I recently learned that Itoo Software is about to release Forest Pack 3.

FP3 can use a VRay proxy as custom object, create the trees and convert them to instances of the proxy when you get the desired distribution.

See it in action: www.itoosoft.com

Forest Pro could always instance and distribute geometry, but not proxies.

This is a significant upgrade in terms foliage quality within a scene.

Cheers!

• 6 months later...

One quick question?

I'm working in a scene and I have some .tga files with trees. Whenever I apply the file to my vraymtl, with the corresponding diffuse slot and alpha channel, when I render the tree appears with a white halo in the borders, like if it was burnt by the VraySUn.

How can I solve this? How do you set your background trees?

Thanks a lot!

when you render your tree into the texture use a green background..

what you're seeing is the blurrieness of the alpha channel (becuse its AntiAliased) lets pixels 'bleed' through that weren't meant to be seen. so making the background fit better the foreground colors makes it less of an issue.

also a quick fix in some cases, reduce the blur on the bitmaps.

...the tree appears with a white halo in the borders...How can I solve this?

Bring your image (or image sequence) into AfterEffects, right click to access "Interpret Footage" and under the Alpha setting selections choose "Premultiplied - Matted with Color" and change the color box from black to white.

This will make the "halos" disappear.