New World Trade Center Site Design Concepts

CHE

Ingo,

As for the architecture, I thought it was interesting that they were DESIGNED to withstand an impact of a 727, but they were made long ago. They withstood the impact, but it was the jet fuel that burned hot enough (and long enough) to melt the steel, creating the collapse. So I'd actually say that the architecture saved as many lives as was possible, given its date of construction. If we build now, who knows what will be in the air 20 years from now.

As for not having high rises, well, we could say that we all should live in suburbia and work from our homes, and never build another city. But that can't work, people need to work in a certain proximity to others.

Nisus,

I understand the idea of not constructing anything, and perhaps that is an appropriate memorial, but the physiological trauma that would cause in the long term would be unreasonable. Those sites make money, are a central representation of NY, which is a symbol of capitalism (and the US) for the world, to not honor both the victims of the tragedy and the potential to rise again would be a larger scar than is necessary. We need to remember, but we also need to persevere.

Hi mbr,

This is exactly what I meant: Americans honor their deads, but money still comes first place. I suggest they don't be hyprocritical on this. Telling people one cares more about the lost lives than anything else is wrong imho. Why can't one just be honest to onemselve and ones fellow Americans? "Hey people, we care about your family tragedy, but we first got to make some money!"

So basicly, I'm not against erecting something on that spot but against whatever kind of lies.

rgds

nisus

Nisus,

I actually think that they are being somewhat honest, at least that's my interpretation. They've stated, and others also, that the site is simply too valuable not to build. Valuable to the owners, valuable to NY, and valuable to those that lease the space. There are thousands of jobs at stake that could not easily be relocated. Everyone should be aware that all of the schemes, including the first 6, did not touch the foot prints of the wtc. So regardless of what project gets built, whether it be a designer model or spec office, there will be a substantial memorial put in place.

I just hope that they don't screw it all up. Hopefully, if it does go spec, there will be another competition for the memorial itself.

It is unfortunate to think that money drives everything, but at the same time, it would be sad visiting NY (I am about 3 hours away) and seeing a massive void where once stood the financial hub to half the world. I look forward to seeing something new and thinking that we have, indeed, persevered. That we have built again, and will always rebuild, in the hopes of a better day tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...