Large massing study

Craig Ramsay

Ok guys, in starting a new project where all I have is an OS map in cad and a few photographs of buildings. My boss wants me to make a sort of mass model of the area around a new site. He wants to see roads, pavements and blocks representing houses, offices etc and he also wants to have the roads sloping/rising as they would do in real life redface2.gif

How would you guys go about modeling something like this? (I am used to modeling on flat land)

Any help would be grately apreciated ;)

The best way to do that will be to get a sat. Image of the area, and possible GIS info on the terrain and then model the boxes out of that. Another way will be doing image-based models out of photographs but both require time and the know-how, and image based modeling is not easy.

It sound to me that you need more info, or know were to get more info/public data. In my opinion, he is asking to much, you may need to inform him that there is lots of guess work involved with current data and he may not like that. :(

luck!

It depends on what the modell will be used for, are there close-ups or only birdview pictures ?

If your plan has some height lines you can at least build your terrain, but as David mentioned its a lot of guess work to get the buildings well done. As long as the buildings are just grey blocks i wouldn't take care to much about their size, as long as the overall look is ok.

HTH

Hello Craig,

i would suggest several things:1)First try the local city council and ask if they have available any survey maps from previous design works

2) try the library of your area , you will be amazed what you can find there!those countor maps are usually hidden somewere...

3)Talk to your boss and tell him that the procedure involves a percentage of innacuracy as the outcome will depend clearly on the info you will have available.

May the radiosity be with you!

ps:I dont see how the Satelite image would help- much- much on understanding the inclination of the site. It certainly can give some clues.

I don't need to have too much detail in the buildings it is more of a context model to show how the new building will look with these other blocks/buildings around it.

I can guess the levels of the roads etc, what I was getting at was how would you guys actually go about modeling this? Should I start by modeling the roads, then pavement, then land in between? Poly modeling or lofts along splines???

Please help eek2.gif

Craig

Simply start to draw all the height lines on their specific height, mostly you don't need all, and make a mesh for the terrain. Just take attention to the streets so you dont have to big height steps in there. And than cut out the streets material.... Thats it.