The public submissions for WTC

If you have not already seen this you NEED to see this.

CNN was interested in finding out what the general public would submit for design ideas... this has been going on for 24 weeks and there is a big list... there must be 1000's.

Follow this link:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2002/wtc.ideas/designs/page.140/

Some are ok, but most are really funny. I was cracking up most of the time, and I think I wet myself when I saw this:

1.jpg

Then I thought, I felt sad. The public has very little understanding of what architecture is about. Then I realized that they know little about art, or even geography... so while it was really funny, it was real sad at the some time. There are a few that are in a good direction... A lot of 3D CG in there.

People want to be part of the solution. I suspect many feel that when the WTC site is 'whole' again we can all feel whole again. The fact that these people are spending their time on constructively depicting ideas for the rebuilding--knowing all the while that they have zero hope of having their design actually being used--speaks volumes about the power that architecture has over people. And yet they are typically excluded from the process of creating it.

Architecture, as practiced today, is intentionally removed from the public realm. Buildings, and even entire urban zones, are cast down upon the masses as if from heaven. Here it is, love it. The architecture industry fosters an air of the almighty lording over the flock. And just look at what they've done with it! It is a small minority of built projects that deserves much in the way of praise.

So I prefer to appreciate the un-built architecture of people's imaginations. Usually not that of rank amateurs, but just about anyone can come up with something interesting. I applaud CNN for providing the facilities for this collection.

I had tried to organize a similar art project for school children in the early days following the 9-11 attacks, where kids would draw their ideas for the site, using CG views as background plates. The very point was to get them to stop feeling helpless and start feeling like they were contributing to the healing process. I ran into too many problems with lining up museums and corporate help (or lack thereof) to pull it off in the timeframe that was necessary, so with heavy heart I had to abandon the project.

This CNN gallery isn't exactly what I had in mind, but at least they got something done. Good for them, and good for all the people who have spent time thinking up those images.

Ernest:

As you know, I do respect your views a great, deal. You, of course, make a great point. Thank God people are looking towards architecture as a solution.

Is architecture all high and mighty? I don't think so... most of our architecture is based on opinions from clients. As a Architecture History professor told me: "The best architecture is built by the combination of a good architect and a good client." Why do I see better architecture in France then in the US? Because they can "get away" with it. Why? Because their clients are educated in architecture and art. Few, if any CEO's in the country cares about art, can tell the difference between art deco and art nouveau... Having been educated in a french system, I had learned those things in 10th grade. It is for those reasons that I find it sad. It reminds me of the fact that the US has no sense of art.

Yes it is great that people got involved... yes it is great that CNN did what they did... But it is ultimatly sad... by the way, those are NOT kids that submitted those. Most of them are adults. I will continue to laugh when I see building shaped like 911.