onyx tree (with subobject leaves) to vray proxy?

stormchaser

hi, i am doing few experiments with onyx tree these days, i am trying to replace onyx tree leaves with custom 3d modeled leaves... correct me if i am wrong but the way to do this is by making leaves as subobjects (i prefer more than one) and then replacing them with a mesh in another max file... but it has one serious problem, after doing all this i cant convert the tree into vray proxy...

is there any solution to this problem? or there is a better way to replace leaves?

That would seem to make sense, but alas it does not work. Once you replace the leaves with geometry than your ability to do anything to the original tree parent object (other than Tree storm modifications) is disabled.

So we make the leaves a Vray proxy, and the branches a different VRay proxy. Then group them. Quite a bother really.

PS. when you try to mesh the leaves and delete the original tree you will crash Onyx. Best Method we've found is attach the leaves to a completely sperate mesh (a box) and then delete the parent tree, and that temporary box which is now an element. Quite a big bother really.

• 1 month later...

I am running into the same problem as stormchaser lists above. I have found a workaround (sort of), but I'm hoping there is a better way.

I have found that when you bring in Onyx content via TREE STORM, I cannot apply an Edit Mesh modifier to the trunk, bough and branches object, for whatever reason (I can't figure this out). The leaf object(s) take an Edit Mesh modifier just fine. But without both pieces being a mesh, I can't figure out how to attach them together.

If you bring in that same Onyx content via a 3ds file (out of the stand alone Onyx application), those pieces are inherently a mesh already, and that allows you to attach them together and then create a Vray Proxy out of that object accordingly.

This seems like a lot of monkeying around IMO. Is there a way to turn the trunk, bough and branches object into a mesh when the Onyx content was brought in through TREE STORM?