Anyone try Newport yet?

Has anyone had the opportunity to play with AutoDesk Newport yet? I have a few questions about it, but haven’t been able to find the answers yet. It seems like everything I have heard about it so far is in relation to Revit, but a conversation got me thinking the other day. Is it a real-time app that will support other AutoDesk content, or is it a Revit plug-in app? Meaning, will I be able to export a FBX file, and open it in Newport to create a real-time environment of my model?

Has anyone had the opportunity to play with AutoDesk Newport yet? I have a few questions about it, but haven’t been able to find the answers yet. It seems like everything I have heard about it so far is in relation to Revit, but a conversation got me thinking the other day. Is it a real-time app that will support other AutoDesk content, or is it a Revit plug-in app? Meaning, will I be able to export a FBX file, and open it in Newport to create a real-time environment of my model?

Not that anyone can talk about; it is still covered by non-disclosure.....

• 2 months later...
Visualization Technology Strengthens Digital Prototyping Solution for the Automotive and Consumer Product Design Industries

On June 18, 2007, Autodesk completed the acquisition of the technology and product assets of Opticore, a provider of advanced technology used to produce highly interactive and realistic 3D digital product visualizations and presentations. The acquisition enables Autodesk to deliver a more comprehensive and powerful design visualization offering.

For more information about the Autodesk Opticore line of products or to read the acquisition Press Release, please visit the new Autodesk Opticore website at: http://www.opticore.com/

i don't know when this will be available in market.

• 1 year later...
Not sure.

Considering that you represent a firm Autodesk would take seriously (as opposed to any of the rest of us who are small vis firms) perhaps they can set up an in-office demo for you? If they couldn't be bothered I would find that quite revealing.

I don't know what Newport is, eve, but there are several realtime apps soon to be released. The ones I'm waiting for are from the FryRender maker and the vray one. Can't wait to see these!

Considering that you represent a firm Autodesk would take seriously (as opposed to any of the rest of us who are small vis firms) perhaps they can set up an in-office demo for you? If they couldn't be bothered I would find that quite revealing.

I don't know what Newport is, eve, but there are several realtime apps soon to be released. The ones I'm waiting for are from the FryRender maker and the vray one. Can't wait to see these!

Yep. I have a copy now, and I thought it is open for public beta testing, but not sure on that. I think it has been open to public beta for 8 months or so.

http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/newport/

It essentially ties into Revit to make the creation of presentation material faster. I haven't done anything with it, but my initial reaction is that the quality will only be as good as the user who is creating the content.

If I remember right, its main form of shading is a direct light with AO, so it is not going to rival render engine quality realtime. It is far, far from producing the quality of modern render engines.

I signed up to be informed when it's available at Autodesk Labs, I have to try to pull some strings to actually get the beta? We're doing some challenging work with a WFA in Revit and it would be nice to be able to explore the space in a more fluid way...

Chuck