Motion Blur

Geoffc

How do you create motion blur in a static image of something passing by, like a car, bike, walking person? I realize you can turn this on with animation and a vray cam, but I can't figure out how to do it in a static image.

Or, is this simply a case of motion blurring a 2d image in photoshop then adding it later?

You need to animate the object by setting some keyframes. You can just use a standard cam then under the camera render settings set the no. of frames you want to blur the object by, say 4 for example, to get the blur amount you want. If it's a night shot of a car try replacing the light bitmaps with a vray light material and pumping up the multiplier. Gives some cool light streaks.

Thanks for the replies. I've never done a matte pass, so I'll have to try and find a tutorial.

As far as using keyframes, I was wondering if that would be the other answer. Making max essentially think this was one frame out of an animation, and enabling motion blur for the vray cams I'm using.

All you need really are 2 keyframes. One set where your person is and where it will be. So for example, you have a person standing up at frame 5, you set a keyframe there. At frame 10, you change the person's position and set another keyframe. That's you. Don't forget to turn motion blur on the vraycamera. If the blur is too much, just decrease the space your person walk between the 2 keyframes. To speed things up, bring the motion blur subdivisons down to 1 until you're happy with the effect. Once there, turn it back up again to 6. Good luck.

matte passes are the balls. I used them heaps on my last project for the first time. Its essentially making a 100% illuminated white material and the same in black. Make everything but your object black and your object itself white. Now render it (nice and fast) and bring it over to photoshop as a mask. It makes it so easy to make fine adjustments of colour and whatever (blur for eg) on your image without having to re-render...