Treestorm - Replacing sub objects

dunniz

I just purchased Treestorm and i love it. At the moment i am opacity mapping my leaves but am trying to replace the plates with leaves i have made using the replace sub object setting.

What i am having trouble with is getting the leaves to orientate correctly, if i have the pivot orientated to the 'world' i.e z=up etc, the leaves are all over the place, any suggestions?

Thanks

Select your tree

Click adjust in the modify rollout

Check the UV box that correspondes with the Leaf parameters

Click Sub-Objects

Start off with 1 (drag the slider across)

Click use plates

Now setup your plates

The three will now detach from the leaves

Apply a texture to the leaves!

or use replace and just align the pivot's z-axis with the leaf's length, and the x along the base of the leaf and avoid those opacity maps. ;)

THANKS, that was the information i was looking for

• 1 month later...

I’m sorry but I am new to onyx tree, I tried fallowing the steps outlined in this forum as to replacing leafs with new geometry, but I can't seem to find the Sub-Objects button or tab that WAcky is talking about.

Select your tree

Click adjust in the modify rollout

Check the UV box that correspondes with the Leaf parameters

Click Sub-Objects

Start off with 1 (drag the slider across)

Click use plates

Now setup your plates

The three will now detach from the leaves

Apply a texture to the leaves!

Reading through this it seems that this is all done in tree storm, yet I can’t find all of the features that people are talking about. I have also check the manual for this feature but I can’t seem to find that section either. Is this something that is done in the modify tab or is this a feature of tree storm? I have been able to apply leafs for mapping but as I am using v-ray I want to reduce my use of opacity maps and really create some nice looking leafs for my trees.

Please help me! If anyone knows of a tutorial or can walk me through this I am sure it would not only help me but any one searching for this information on the web.

Thanks

Well i just received this email from the support staff at Onyx Tree.

"In the latest version of Tree Storm which you have, this feature does not exist any more.

Some customers had reported problems with leaf plates that were related to the intrinsic limits of Autodesk sub-object architecture. We had tried but had not been able to fix these problems. Thus, in the latest Tree Storm for Max 9/2008/2009, the leaf plates as sub-objects are replaced with leaf plates as sub-materials. These leaf plates cannot be replaced with the objects of your choice."

is there another way to replace the leaf plates with geomitry? maybe a round about way i am not thinking of?

Edited by substance_design