how to model berm

pipjor

i need to model about 40 of these raised berm mulch beds for a animation, any suggestions on how you would go about modeling these?? i was thinking shape merge but not sure how to get the raised look of these??

1. they are all irregular shapes

2. they all sit on slopes

3. the camera angle during the animation will be about the same as the pic

present state is 1 spline per berm drawn from site landscpae plan.

extrude, taper, seems to works ok, not perfect but....

here's a still from the animation, as you can see my berms currently stink..

---update---um taper does not work-----

Edited by pipjor

Sounds like you are planning on modeling the berms separately and then integrating them into an existing terrain mesh?

It would be easier to have those features already incorporated into the original contour file and just bang out one unified mesh terrain.

But, if what is done is done...then perhaps this:

I would draw a 2D spline in plan view that captures the footprint of the berm on the slope. Next, I would use ShapeMerge to incorporate that spline into the sloped surface. Now collapse the terrain to Editable Poly and choose poly. Delete the default polys that are selected, switch to Edge and choose the edges and use Make Shape From Selection.

Now you have an Editable spline that captures the berm footprint in plan view and follows the slope of the terrain. I would be using the surface tools next. Take the Editable Spline and add the following modifiers (Edit Spline, CrossSection, Surface). You have to add more splines to the base spline within the Edit Spline modifier.

Sound difficult, confusing? If so, please refer back to sentence two...;)

1. Use "glue" plugin from itoosoft (it's free and very cool). This will glue the spline to the terrain.

2. Use "subdivide" modifier on spline to generate tesselations at whatever spacing you want (smaller subdivisions means smoother berms)

3. Use edit mesh modifier, choose sub-object edges, then "select open edges" this should select the outside perimeter of the berm.

4. Choose the "soft selection" modifier, and set the distance to whatever you like. You'll need to play with it to get the right distance, but it will show you interactively in the viewport.

5. Move the selected edges down a certain distance (depending on how tall you want the berms), and then turn off sub-object mode, and move the entire berm back up to grade.

6. Done!

I think once you have the general terrain built, to then go to a simple plane, use 20-30 sections or as needed, then do an edit mesh, soft select, and start raising them up. Make 4-5 and start copying them around, make the copies slightly unique as you go.

Then, pull them high enough where by you don't have to match the sloped terrain exactly, let them go a bit below. Seems simple enough. If you have a specific footprint of a berm, the n go to edit mesh, turn off soft select, and delete points to get where you need. None of these needs to spot on to some land arch plan, just close.

20 minutes tops. Any thoughts?

Scotty

I've heard of Itoo's Glue, but I didn't know it could be used for modeling.

Glue is awesome! One of the things I use it for most is applying objects to a terrain, so If I have a bunch of trees that need to be applied to a topography, it will "plant" the trees onto the terrain based on their pivot points.