Turning floorplan and elevations into 3D

Hello...

I've been trying to work out how to make a 3D model in 3DS, if I'm given the floor plans and elevations of a building (let's assume a 2-storey house).

I have AutoCAD 2006 and Max 2008.

I've been trying to:

1) in AutoCAD trace the walls from the TOP view

2) in AutoCAD trace the side views from FRONT/LEFT/etc view

3) bring the splines into 3DS using File -> File Link Manager

4) I've tried and tried to connect the corner verts and the move the floor plans to the proper height but it just isn't working

I feel it requires the side views have perfect alignment (which isn't difficult, just time consuming).

I think what's throwing me off are the views of the angled roof - it's "confusing" me.

I'd like to perfect a work flow for both situations (with and without an AutoCAD file handed to me from the home builder or Architect - without would be hard copy).

Can someone point out where I'm going wrong and offer some tips please?

Thanking you...

Thanks for replying.

I've not explored 3D in AutoCAD, but maybe I should.

I guess keep in mind it does not have to be 100% accurate - it's "just" a visualisation of the actual house. A few centimeters off here or there won't make a difference when I render out some Exterior Fronts and Rears for sign boards and meeting rooms.

Any other suggestions for an AutoCAD to 3DS work flow?

yes, i do

(words That i will never hear my gf say)

i use The acad 2d floor plan, and Then locate The Elevations at 50 feet

away from The floor plan in Their respective direction(s) ROTATED by 90 degrees

so That They are standing up vertically (like you would see Them in The real-world orientation)

i start doing The BOX command from point To opposite corner end-point

on The 2d floor plan To create The various walls with The appropriate height added as i go around The perimeter (for exterior walls only)

This is easy To do

why do separate box-wall units? instead of Tracing just one polyline

and Then offsetting by The wall Thickness and extruding both and subtracting The inner solid from The outer solid? To create just ONE solid wall?

you might ask?

(i actually join The various wall segments later)

because i have developed a workflow (using a few autolisp routines) That allows a person To automate punching holes (for openings) into The various walls (rather easily)

assuming That The exterior walls individual pieces are in place

Then one would go To The Elevations, pick Two points (lower left and Then upper right, for example) on each opening door or window and hit a return Then pan over To The next opening (door or window) and do The same = very fast

(i have other routines for outlines with curved arched window/door Tops)

To make This happen, 1st i get The distance from The exterior wall To The elevation = 50 feet (already set up before-hand) or if not 50 feet by picking The elevation bottom line and Then picking The wall plane (it might be beyond or closer Than The default 50 foot distance)

Then select The object To be cut from = The exterior wall unit,

Then make The 2 point selection which draws a rectangle in That Elevations ucs orientation (with The Z axis pointing TOWARD The walls) Then extrudes into The Z axis by The 'selected distance' = default 50 foot (or otherwise as noted)

This LAST extruded SOLID is Then (automatically) SUBTRACTED from The primary wall unit

automatically because you set up The lisp routines (getdist) and set 1 variable To be 1st SUBtract from unit = The wall unit and 2 The LAST extruded entity which is SUBtracted from The 1st wall unit

it is much easier Than it sounds (in words)

if you have something That you are working on post it up

just 2 wall faces or an entry area with etc respective elevations

i will make up something To walk you Thru This exercise

old school = old skull

but hey it works for me

This also makes doing ROOFs an osnap

hope This helps

Edited by vizwhiz
cant spelll

AutoCAD isn't your only option either. MicroStation is an incredible modeling software I (and others in my firm) have been using for years. Really it's your preference which you like better, but the workflow is the same as AutoCAD. MicroStation allows you to save out to DWG for importing into Max. Either way it's much easier than modeling in Max, especially if you're an architect doing vis work!

Also dont over look ADT or as its know nowadays as Architecture2009.

Basically you creat the walls and windows parametrically, ie to create a wall you select the wall tool and click the start and end points. the height, thickness etc are automatically set and are user defined. Just like the AEC objects in max the windows, doors, cutrain walls are droped into the walls. All holes are automatically punched.

Its very quick and easy to use and make changes. The DWG's can be file linked into Max

jhv

Another thing you can do in Max is to use the extrude modifier set to the height of the walls. Make sure to have the inner wall and outer wall as segments of the same spline, and select all the vertices and weld them. Close the spline if necessary, then add the extrude modifier to it. Very easy and effective.

Good luck.

Yes I think The " Vizwhiz " Is right...

I Also Do The Modeling Stuff In 3dMax Only...Its Quite Faster than autocad i believe...may be i use lot of max rather than the autocad ... thats why its easy for me...

but i think if we do in the max with importing the elavtions and plans..its quite easy...

I guess keep in mind it does not have to be 100% accurate - it's "just" a visualisation of the actual house. A few centimeters off here or there won't make a difference when I render out some Exterior Fronts and Rears for sign boards and meeting rooms.

Dude! Accuracy to the millimetre is just as achievable as eating bread. If your not aiming to be accurate, then stick to paint and canvas.

Edited by Adrian Bold
grammar

Hmm Joel I wouldnt worry about being 'super accurate' accuracy will come naturally with practice in max, no one measures off images, you arent making contract documents - you are making images, so as logn as it looks about right dont worry yourself if things arent exact (unless you are doing verified view stuff!).

The aim is to make a good image, not to have a accurate model, at theend of the day your image will be assessed on what it looks like not how many millimeters off your glazing is.