Slow material Editor Max 2009 64

TheMulf

We've had almost the exact opposite happen here. in max 2k8 the material editor was so slow we had to resort to unlocking the material editor pull down on the common tab of the render dialogue and changing it to the scanline render just to be able even work. In 2k9 it's now much better, but we mostly mental ray, so i can't confirm the vray problems.

I've also noticed that when rendering with mental ray I can't check email or surf the web easliy either. the computer becomes very sluggish.

• 1 month later...

Dont suppose anyone has found a solution to this yet have they? Running both Max 2008 and 2009 and have the same issue in both, and running dongle locally is not an realistic solution for me, as all machines are networked. Tryed the solutions suggested with no luck........ can anyone shed some light on this subject??? :confused::)

Yeah he's right, thats why you set up a render farm so other machines do the leg work allowing you to get on with your work.

As for my issue got it sorted, and think the issue boiled down to a couple of ip address's that had been left on their default path, and were tripping it all. Sounds dumb but any1 else who has the same issue check that the ip address in 'primary license server' window is correct! Worked for me! :D

i was experiencing the same problem, i'm using windows xp 64, 3DsMax 9, v

v-ray 1.5 RC3.

try to copy the "chaos group" folder from "c:\program files" to "c:\program files (x86)" .. then restart your computer, that should fix the slow material editor

i hope this helps..

-Harlan-

try to copy the "chaos group" folder from "c:\program files" to "c:\program files (x86)" .. then restart your computer, that should fix the slow material editor

this doesn't sound like a logical idea (I sure wouldn't recommend it)..... the files in those folders are specific to the OS architecture and I doubt they are interchangeable between 32 and 64bit platforms. If you want to populate the 32bit side of vray's folder it would be better to install the 32bit version for 2009 which goes in the x86 folder. Regardless though this doesn't solve anything regarding the 64bit material editor

to weigh in on the subject max has to just be jacked up. If you take a default install of max and set the prefs to load vray materials and open a clean scene no materials no maps it still takes a too long to open the material editor. It's quite frustrating.

Edited by BrianKitts

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I used to have that problem but now I don't have it anymore.. but I don't know actually why!!

For sure I noticed this problem opening scenes created with older versions of max and VRay.

And I had the the same problem opening the render options dialog as well.

I'm not pretty sure what happened because I did nothing but install the latest hotfixes for max 2009 and remove the steering wheel (remove "AutoCamMax.gup" and "AutoCamResENU.dll" from the stdplugs folder).

Nothing else...

Now the material editor and the render dialog opens up as usual...

I'm sorry it's not a proper solution..

Luigi

ps. I'm working on a net, loading files, textures etc. from a network shared folder and a license server for a couple a machines.

Regarding this issue with Vray....

Vlado has mentioned that part of the delay is from the fact that before refreshing every material preview, Vray is checking it's license. Which if you have a network lag this will slow down your material editor. He said they were going to try and rework this for future releases.

Consequently this is why making the key local really does work for a fix, even if it's not something most of us can do when we have numerous employees all working off the same key.

• 2 weeks later...

I have resolved my slow mat editor/V-Ray issue.

We are using a network license server, and have the dongles located on one machine.

In the Render Setup>V-Ray tab under Authorization>Edit/set license server information, I had 'localhost' set up as the primary license server and the network ip set up as the alternate license server for some reason. Setting the primary license server to the correct network ip address did the trick and now I have absolutely no drag.

Totally had the same problem. The fix for me came with the VRAY license server. I sometimes use the dongle and I sometime piggy on a networked license. Once I set the networked to be the primary license server it fixed the problem! Guess it was searching for the dongle first and putting the mat edit on snooooooze....

• 1 year later...
I'm having the same issues here, but that solution didn't work on my end.

I've tried starting with an empty scene, and anytime I open the Material Editor with VRay as the renderer, it comes to a crawl. I can swith renderers to scanline or mental ray, and everything operates great. It's just when I have vray as the default renderer.

I'm running:

XP Professional x64, SP2

Intel Core 2 Quad @2.4GHz

4GB RAM

GeForce 8800GTX

Hi!!!HomeBrew,

I have a one question regarding graphic card????How`s the performance of the GeForce 8800GTX with 3ds max & vray??????

Could I buy GeForce 8800GTX otherwise 8800 GTS????Also you can suggest me other card.

Pls.argant reply me.Thank you.

My P.c config

Intel i7-920

2.67mhz

4gb ram

window xp 64Xbit

• 2 months later...

try goin to the start up menu and open chaos group, liscencing and open launch "vray license server" when you are using max..usually vray tries to obtain the license when you click on every new material in the editor..