What defines a good Architect

Cesar R

I was just wondering, what are some of the qualities and skills to have in order to be considered a good Architect, not necessarily well known all around, but be able to live comfortably($$). The reason I ask is because I am going to a University in FL, and I am going to study architecture and wanted to know what to focus on. So far I know 3D pretty good I guess and some ACAD. But what else... ?

I'm out of architecture school in a month...senior design project is currently trying to kill me...next week will be relatively sleepless, but i'll be ok...anyway, to the point...

I've done some cursory job looking, and i've found

Your college GPA...will be either 1.000, 4.000, or inconsequential...

You need, a working knowledge of AutoCAD...if you want to familiarize yourself withe every last software package, learn microstation and miniCAD, but for all intents and purposes 93% of the firms out there are production AutoCAD shops...i did talk to one guy that does his detail sheet CD's in 3-D, and he said his usual gen con's are doing a really good job dealing with the non-standard views so far as opposed to the typical plan/section view...he's not looking for help though (damn)

It seems like, firms NOW, are looking for new "apprentice arch's" who are also CGI guys and illustrators pretty hard...but if you're just starting out in school, that market may saturate before you get out of the University...if you plan on marketing yourself with your cg skills, i would get out and try to grab some extracurricular work with a firm now, while the *iron* is *hot* on that part of the job market, and then try to parlay that contact into a more substantial professional relationship after graduation...

the guy above is absolutely right though...learn how to hatch unique design ideas, and develop them clearly, make a project portfolio that reads like a good novel and you're in wherever you want to be...you'll pick up the firms individual culture (software environment, production philosophies, and the finer points of professional business) more or less quickly once you've got a job...

Oh yeah...if you can pick up a business minor or or even just a couple intro business classes while you're in college DO IT...at least it'll teach you some interesting stuff about basic economics...it seems like the a-1 b#tch about architects from EVERYONE else in the building/construction field is that they're usually at best, average-to poor businessmen...

take that advice with a grain of salt, as i'm just a rookie in this architecture game, but that's a ten-cent summary of all the advice i've gotten from Professors, Practicing Architects, Gen. Contractors, and Construction Manager's in the last six years...

-b

Hey Tom and Butter,

Tank you for your advice. I guess your right about trying to get some freelance on the side doing architectural CG. However it is also very hard. I have gotten a few jobs like that doing renderings but not everyone wants to pay the money. Which brings me to another question. What is an average amount to charge for a 3D modeled rendering. Meaning you model everything and render a still. What about for a walkthrough? Should it be more expensive is we use GI ?

Anyway, I'd be cool if one of you could answer that in general. Once again thanks for your advice. :)

Hi everyone,

For me, being a great architect is all about mastering design. It means that most ideas are simple but very clear and as if they're made without any effort.

The best way to master design is to learn how to use your eyes.

Sketch! A lot! Sketching is a way of looking very closely. You can't draw things correctly if you haven't observed and studied them.

Go past your mental mind (i.e. draw what you think you see) and just draw what you really see!

This is very important in 3d as well, because you'll need to know shaders, materials, lighting, form and lots of other things for developping a powerful design habit. But you can't trust your thoughts, trust your eyes instead.

The next step is not to think anymore, but just draw! Look, you've turned around a 180 degrees! Your sketches will lead your thoughts, it won't be the other way around (i.e. your mind leads your drawings)

Once you've reached this stadium, design is really a habit or an attitude. You just do it!

You design!

Another thing worth mentioning...

Like someone on this post has said, 3d is 'in' for the moment, but i won't be for long. Firms are indeed looking for good in-house 3d-people, but the best are already owning a firm of their own.

Firms will soon realise that they can only attract 3d-trainees instead of 3d-professionals for their jobs. So things will change...

But who knows what next? And how can you be competitive?

Master sketching! If you think with your hand, you think a lot faster than someone modelling anything. You'll explore more ideas in less time.

And more ideas tested means a further-developped idea, a better idea.

You'll also be able to reduce the things that need to be modelled, because you've seen a looklike picture of the result allready.

3d is becoming to simple. It's made for everyone. But like pencils: everyone uses them, but only few master the craft to make wonderful things by using them wise.

So study composition! yes, again by sketching! You'll sketch 20 lay-outs in less than a minute, but you will only make a few test on a computer screen. You'll forget to explore, you'll miss the fun and the speed.

So to end this... 3d is fun!

but my tip: learn how to sketch!

nisus

Cesar,

Good question.

Regardless if you want to mass design starter homes for plan books, high-end residential, light commercial, or be the next FLW, you will find it invaluable to have real construction dirt under your fingernails. During your summers, get a part-time job doing rough carpentry, installing siding, flatwork, or hanging rock. Learn first hand how buildings go together. Learn that there are perfect designs on paper, and then there are construction site conditions that will make sure that every building has it’s little flaws.

Once you get your degree and hold a job, the first time you have to go to a jobsite and explain to the carpenter why your plans are right, you’ll be able to say it with authority. Construction workers see real quickly past the piece of paper that says you’re an architect and will discern the real man who designed the plans their building off of.

Hey

Probably You all guys are right. There is no difference how good You are in advanced 3D modeling or how fast You can develop the paper conception. It doesn’t mean how many languages You know, how keen You are or how smart. You can be good in construction, You can have beautiful visions, ideas, You can be a pencil or canvas master. Of course I do not want to tell You that this all stuff does not mean absolutely nothing at all. I thing that to achieve a good position as an architect You have to be an excellent manager. You have to know how to sell Your ideas (sometimes splendid, sometimes there would be better). But most of all You should be lucky. Personally I know some really good architects who did not gain the success. But if You can sacrifice many things in Your live, if You can work very hard and if You really want You MAYBE some day be a good architect. But what does it mean “to be a good in something”? – to earn a lot of money? or when Your face is on the cover of the popular magazine? or maybe than, when someone says “he is a good one”… I think that You should answer Yourself on this hard questions. I love my work, I like to design. It is very beautiful moment in Your live when the project You’ve designed hard is now under construction. When I decided to study architecture I didn’t know - can I dare or I can not. Nowadays I think that firstly: You MUST want, secondly You have to work hard, and finally You should have some luck. This is my very personal advise: If you are not convenient to study architecture don’t do it. But if You are – May the Force be whit You – as they say. After all I whish You Cesar good luck. Best regards

Wojciech Klepacki

P.S.

In my country it is very important to be the right man in right place and time. But it is unique rule.

Wojciech, thank you for taking the time to give some valuable input. I also share the belief that one must be at the right place at the right time and may I add on to that, that sometimes things have to be a certain and will be a certain way no matter which path you take. Anyhow I just want to thank you all respected gentleman for your valuable advice and also thank fate for this oportinity to hear good advice from the right people, which for I consider myself already lucky. :)

Please ! Don't try to convert architecture into a rendering and painting profession. I think an architect has many things to think BEFORE learning to use any 3D or 2D software.

If you're starting now.. please don't worry too much about software yet. You'll have time.

A good architect is the one who gets worried about people, about the city, about living, about the light, the materials, the mass, the void, the structures... he's not worried about any software.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by ZepSOFD:

Design, design, design, and design. These four things will get you in almost any door. ;)

tom

Originally posted by Hector:

Please ! Don't try to convert architecture into a rendering and painting profession. I think an architect has many things to think BEFORE learning to use any 3D or 2D software.

If you're starting now.. please don't worry too much about software yet. You'll have time.

A good architect is the one who gets worried about people, about the city, about living, about the light, the materials, the mass, the void, the structures... he's not worried about any software.

I share these two opinions.

You must know that when your a good architect, you don't have to make any 3D visualisations, they will be made for you by somebody else.

The most important thing is design, and the ability to synthesise your thoughts into something concrete.

And you learn and practice these things by doing this :

Originally posted by nisus:

The best way to master design is to learn how to use your eyes.

Sketch! A lot! Sketching is a way of looking very closely. You can't draw things correctly if you haven't observed and studied them.

Go past your mental mind (i.e. draw what you think you see) and just draw what you really see!

This is very important in 3d as well, because you'll need to know shaders, materials, lighting, form and lots of other things for developping a powerful design habit. But you can't trust your thoughts, trust your eyes instead.

The next step is not to think anymore, but just draw! Look, you've turned around a 180 degrees! Your sketches will lead your thoughts, it won't be the other way around (i.e. your mind leads your drawings)

Once you've reached this stadium, design is really a habit or an attitude. You just do it!

You design!

Master sketching! If you think with your hand, you think a lot faster than someone modelling anything. You'll explore more ideas in less time.

And more ideas tested means a further-developped idea, a better idea.