Realtime for Sketchup

Electraglide

Just stumbled across this forum.

I've been working on a plug-in for Sketchup that gives realtime rendering of your models inside Sketchup (no exporting). It supports point and area light sources with normalmaps/specmaps and you can walk around with collision/gravity etc and it works with Sketchup's Scenes too. The idea is you can flick between modelling and realtime instantly.

Its kinda, Newport for Sketchup! :-)

Called "LightUp" and the website is light-up dot co dot uk (I don't seem to be allowed to include a web link..)

Adam

sounds interesting. i don't use sketchup so i won't try this but i wanted to ask how you calculate the light, ambient occlusion and such... do you apply them as textures? you would need some additional unwrapped uv-coords. or is it some vertex-lighting?

sounds interesting. i don't use sketchup so i won't try this but i wanted to ask how you calculate the light, ambient occlusion and such... do you apply them as textures? you would need some additional unwrapped uv-coords. or is it some vertex-lighting?

Yes, it bakes the lighting. No its not vertex lit.

Adam

i had a look at the youtube videos and the results are looking quite impressive, especially for sketchup.

so when you say that the lighting is applied as a texture to all the objects, how is the unrwapping process handled? does it produce one single texture for all objects or one texture per object? also am i able to define resolution of the resulting lightmaps? will it produce bigger textures, the more faces i have or will the accuracy decline the bigger my models become?

thanks again for your comments and best regards, olaf.

i had a look at the youtube videos and the results are looking quite impressive, especially for sketchup.

Ouch, faint praise there! ;) Sketchup is doing something there that Maya/Max/SI etc just can't do..

so when you say that the lighting is applied as a texture to all the objects, how is the unrwapping process handled? does it produce one single texture for all objects or one texture per object? also am i able to define resolution of the resulting lightmaps? will it produce bigger textures, the more faces i have or will the accuracy decline the bigger my models become?

LightUp handles the processing and lighting. Its very flexible in controlling resolution; if you really need to sample lighting every 4.5cm, you can, or you can let LightUp figure something reasonable and modify it. It handles groups and components too.

Adam

I think it looks great!

But so far I have been waiting for several hours to get the confirmation mail after registering for downloading the demo...

It says that an email has been sent, but so far it has nor arrived.

Any idea what the price will be?

I think it looks great!

But so far I have been waiting for several hours to get the confirmation mail after registering for downloading the demo...

It says that an email has been sent, but so far it has nor arrived.

Any idea what the price will be?

Check your spam filter. The email gets sent instantly so modulo pinging around the internet to your mail server, it will arrive within minutes. You could try whitelisting light-up dot co dot uk too.

Adam