MR Interior

pwharton

That's nice, but the ceiling looks a bit too glossy and it could use more lighting. Also, compositionally it would probably have more drama if it were in thirds instead of split down the middle - symmetrical is like soooooo 20th century.

I think you should correct your lighting. That deep red contrasts a lot with the bright blue outdoor lighting. If it's because of interior lightsources it should be yellowish. I think the interior would benefit from more outdoor light though. ;)

Thank you,

This is where I am stuck, I have a sky portal at the exterior windows and 2 Photometric Lights set to the D50 Illuminant default settings in the room. I have taken the 2 interior lights off “use Global settings” to gain individual control of the light intensity for each light. But I am not getting the brightness on the interior I would like. I am thinking of replacing them with MR omni’s instead. Any thoughts on how to properly light this would help.

not sure what a sky portal is...

use a photometric area light at the window [the size or larger of the window opening] and have it point straight in. keep the spot light [or direct light] to act as the sun.

turn on FG [final gather] and test.

if it's still too dark, turn on GI [global illumination] and adjust the lights individually on the modification panels. UP the energy if the scene is too dark. be sure to keep photon levels down for testing and then turn them up for a final rendering

Hey...

A Sky Portal is the 'new' way to bring light into an interior space. The 'old school' way would be to do exactly as you described - drag a photometric area light over the windows to have them simulate the light from outside.

A Sky Portal is like a funnel, channeling the light from your mrSky into an area (presemably interior).

Don't be afraid to crank the multiplier on the Sky Portals. Use the Light Lister (Tools -> Light Lister) to help manage/control your lights.

My approach would be to get the daylight coming in through the window correct first, i.e., turn off all other lights and get a nice balance of daylight to match your exterior view. The room will probably be pretty dark at this point. Then, work on supplemental interior lights to balance it out.

Thanks for the replys,

I was out of town for the holiday weekend but now I am back and back at it. I have played some more with the lights energy and changes some of the materials. Let me know what you think. I still may reset the lights and do a new lighting solution since i have played around with a lot of the settings for the lights and sun.