CS

hi ian

i was using for some post at a clients last week

to be honest i could not see anything special other than a few button moves

i reckon it's a case of aint broke don't fix it (i'm still on ps6 and quite happy with how it works) then again it was only a half hour of fixing "why are my prints dark"

I have not had any slowdown issues with 8/CS, but I haven't done any huge file work in it yet.

I bought it because it is the first version of PS that supports most functions--but especially layers--in 16bit mode. This is critical to me for working with grayscale images. It isn't going to be so important to most users.

Overall CS looks good. The upgrade was about US$160 so it wasn't a big deal to buy. The biggest hassle to me is having to re-install some plugin filters (means finding the serial numbers).

layers--in 16bit mode.

What, in practise, does this enable you to do?

16 bit mode means that when working with a grayscale image you get 65K shades. In regular 8bit you only have 256 shades. When you process a 256 level image you can easily create histogram gaps and a posterized look. In other words, your 256 shades can quickly become 200 or less. It's like doing a rendering as a GIF.

Photoshop pre v.CS would not allow layers in 16bit, or variable masks (though there is an 8bit workaround). You could not use curves or most tools. Now you can.

As a side business I am developing a website to produce and sell archival prints of architectural drawings, renderings and photography. Part of that is a collection of antique images. I am buying old photos, mostly 125+ years, scanning, restoring, and re-printing with a grayscale pigment process. My real passion for this site is modern fantasy and visionary images, but I am also enjoying collecting the antique images. More on this business soon, I hope to have some work from some of you CGAers.

Wow! Photomerge is amaizing.
Is that the image stiching thing? I really didn't pay much attention to the 'new features' list, since it had the one I really needed.

I never learned to use PanoTools, or bought Sticher. I guess I had assumed that a Photoshop image sticher would be a disappointment vs. a dedicated tool for that purpose. I would be interested in what you have found...

Is that the image stiching thing? I really didn't pay much attention to the 'new features' list, since it had the one I really needed.

I never learned to use PanoTools, or bought Sticher. I guess I had assumed that a Photoshop image sticher would be a disappointment vs. a dedicated tool for that purpose. I would be interested in what you have found...

Yes it is a stitching process. I saw it on the demo tutorial and, although not perfect, was impressive. But I tried it my self with 3 and 4 images taken of my livingroom. The results were perfect! Plus, very easy and quick to use.

Well initially i was excited when i heard of Cs (while still in beta) but i do not believe i will not upgrade. Not much i find of use. The new layer comps are nice though, and a few other things however i am still going to stay with v7.

-DarkSun