Need a Model for the next challenge ASAP!

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Hey everyone, in case you did not read about this in the thread about the new challenge we are looking to get the challenge up and running by the end of the week early next. But...to ensure that everyone had time to do this we need a model donated. This time I'm looking for a interior model preferably with exteror windows and/or skylights. If you have one please post a screen capture here.

Thanks guys!

Hi Jeff,

I have two homes that I designed for a client in ArchiCAD and that the client rendered in ArtLantis. They have no problem w/us using this as a model for a contest. I have always meant to get these rendered in C4D eventually, but if anyone thinks that these may work, your welcome to use them.

There are two homes of similar design, here’s the first:

Here is the second home. It’s a mini-me of the first, same client:

I am really pressed for time, but I could mess around w/optimizing the model over the weekend if everyone expresses interest in using it.

Hi folks,

Wow, rendering the living/fireplace with the kitchen on the background would be a great challenge.

That would be both artistically and technically challenging.

Several workarounds, new techniques and rendering optimizations could arise, specially taking into account the large glazing area and the amound of skylight comming through the windows.

Let´s do it?

I agree, great model to work with! Let's do it!

One suggestion would be that everyone render the model as is. No changes to the interior at all. If everyone renders exactly the same model and textures we can then compare techniques on how we achieved different results in the final render. The idea is that we are trying to improve our rendering skills, not our interior decorating skills. Just a thought.

I respectfully disagree. With the limitation of using the environment exactly as it is and adding nothing, you are only comparing math (i.e. rendering engines). An artistic challenge is all about composition, lighting and mood via context and color treatments. That is what makes it an artist's challenge - take something and make it your own.

Oh, and the fireplace shot has much potential.

John D

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to hear that everyone is open to trying one of these two models. It seems that everyone would like to try the 1st of the two.

My $0.02 on the furniture, texture, etc..

I can see the benefit of having “one model for all” to lessen the variables and intensify the finer points of judging. This would be interesting to see how everyone would handle rendering with their respective software in this type of environment.

On the other hand, there are two reasons why I would like to see the artist be able to add their own furniture and tex.

One, because it would be interesting to see how others would handle decorating this environment.

And two, ArhiCAD does a reasonable job with keeping the meshes efficient for the main structural items, walls, roofs, windows, etc.

But the furniture, cabs, smaller details, ArchiCAD it seems has to use an unusual amount of polys to make it look smooth in ArchiCAD, while these items could use less polys in a modeling program and then be smoothed w/smoothmesh or whatever tool you have.

Keep the comments coming,

Thx,

Paul

I agree with John Dollus and Paul Griger. It´s OK that each artist has his different settings and lighting techniques for a given renderer, but what really makes an image beautiful or average?

We are under the risk of becoming a purely GI or Radiosity or Fakeosity community. Hey guys let´s not fall in that trap. We have to value composition, color balance, carefully used lighting, digital sculpture/modeling, etc...because those are the characteristics which differentiate us from the machines.

Let´s take a look at the work of let´s say AMDrenderings for example, they don´t even use GI or Radiosity and they are one of the most sought after Digital Illustration/Animation companies in the US. Because they are telented artists who know how to create images with atmosphere/mood through the use of composition, color balance, texture, lighting, etc. Ernest Burden III, one of the cgarchitect.com members does GREAT use of Lightscape + artistic skills as well, to name a few.

Just my 3 cents.

the 2 models looks great, but too big, exterior, interior, kitchen, living,etc .... i dont know, too much thing to do. too much things and too lees time to creat all the detail for all the house. any model more little ?

any museum or gallery ? ( if i want to do a Art gallery i can Do, if i want a Car Gallery i can do, if u want a Dinosaur Museum u can do.. i Dont know, i like somthing more Flexible . just an IDea :)

Just my opinion

Saludos

[ January 08, 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: DelfoZ ]

• Administrators

Hey Paul...nice model!! This is perfect! Lots of glass. I am also in agreement that the model should be cleared of anything that is not structural. If you get the model, you should need to do more than just press render. ;) I'm thiking of some ideas on how to put a twist on the challenge now...all suggestions welcome.

Thanks again Paul!!

BTW this is going to be an interior only challenge.

• Administrators

This is an excellent idea! But I would like to wait a few more months before doing that. The financial implecations of hosting that many animations could kill us right now. We will be in a better position to do this in a few months. It's a great idea Cesar so we will definetyl do it. thanks!

Originally posted by Cesar R:

how about we render an animation ?? like small flythrough or something; something simple. :)

Hi Jeff,

Glad you like the model. I would be excited to see what everyone does with the home according to their own tastes.

When you know for a certainty that we would be using one of these two homes for the contest, please let me know so I can start putting some thought into optimizing the files. It would make sense for me to remove everything that is not structurally integral to the building, i.e., furniture, and I’d imagine that include cabinets and appliances also [and tex].

It seems that ArchiCAD exports the meshes to a WaveFront .OBJ file format in the most efficient manner. 3DS files work OK also, but they end up being almost 50% larger than the .OBJ files for some reason.

DelfoZ, thanks for the kudos on the models. I have never really done one of the contests before, but I can see how there may seem like there is a lot of detail to add since it is an open concept design. Even a shot to the fireplace incorporates the Kitchen and Dining areas, plus the Loft above. That Living room space minus the Kitchen and Dining is about 24’-0” square.

In the second smaller model, there is still an open concept design, but the footprint is only about 1,700 sq/ft. The Living Room there is about 20’-0” square, but still incorporates views of the Kitchen and Dining areas.

If it’s any consolation, it is in the spirit of Mies van der Rohe [if I may be so bold :) ], so less is more? I’d be surprised to see anyone throw extra details in like some crown moulding or the like ;)

Jeff, a twist? Well, being so close to the project, it’s hard for me to imagine any twists, but I’ll try to put some thought into it. I'm sure others may have ideas as well though.

~ Paul

• Administrators

When you know for a certainty that we would be using one of these two homes for the contest, please let me know so I can start putting some thought into optimizing the files. It would make sense for me to remove everything that is not structurally integral to the building, i.e., furniture, and I’d imagine that include cabinets and appliances also [and tex].

Hey Paul, I'd like to use the first model with everything stripped. Looks like they want to get this up by Monday, but as soon as we can the better. Sorry for the late reply, I've been home the last few days tending to our very sick Cockateil Charlie. :( Work has not been a priority.

The format should be whatever is cleanest and we can convert to other formats from their. I believe I can use Rhino to get almost any format we need.

Jeff, a twist? Well, being so close to the project, it’s hard for me to imagine any twists, but I’ll try to put some thought into it. I'm sure others may have ideas as well though.

I'll be coming up with some rules soon in between all the stuff I am dealign with now. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Hi Jeff,

Ahhh, I can always count on you to be working late and weird hours just when I feel I’m alone :D

Sick pet, sorry to hear that. We have two cats, and when they’re sick, well, it’s like one of our kids [not that we have them yet] being ill. They’re part of the fam.

I’ll start stripping down and organizing the first model tonight/over the weekend. No landscape, trees, cabs, furniture, tex. Just the nitty gritty.

I’m doing test rendering for some archi scenes right now, so I’ll mess around with it in between renders. I’ll email you something as soon as I can, probably no sooner than Sat night.

Looking FWD to seeing everyone render the model. Let me know if there is anything else to fine tune once you get it.

Thx,

Paul

Hi all,

I'm confused! I haven't been here for a few days and all I see now is some hype about a model for a contest, but I don't see what the contest is really about! (although 19post have been made allready... (I deleted a double post from Jeff))

It looks like everyone missed out a step - or am I the only one who did? - but so far I don't know what to produce: how many images? set cameraview? challenge lighting, modelling, texturing skills? I really don't know yet, or is this all presumed before allready?

Anyway, as far as I was able to follow this discussion I don't know why we should keep any texturing or materials and just setup light... To me, these are but presumptions on a topic/goal not decided yet. Basicly if I am wrong on this (and so missing some points) I totally agree with both John Dollus and Christian Miranda about the 'keeping it art/challenge'

So eventually: Jeff, what is the next challenge really about?

rgds

nisus

I wrote lots of crap then Netscape decided to have an error and close itself :mad:

In short.

I like those models.

An idea for the future challenges:

Why don't we do a themed challenge every 3 months. By theme I don't mean LOTR or Spiderman or the like, but a theme like reflection/contemplation, anxiety, hope, transportation, despair, sound, flight, football, breakfast...

These themes can be interpreted as literally or as wildly as one likes and participants will be judged from the concept design through to the execution of the final presentation. Also something I'd like to see in these challenges is a shift away from 'render' challenges to incorporate the other aspects of digital art techniques, as much or as little as the individual wishes to employ.

Damn spelling mistakes.