A very newbie question!

stevel

I'm very new to 3d rendering, and I'm trying to find my way here!

As I understand it (?), you use 2D jpegs for backgrounds, and 3D plants and trees for foreground and middle ground. If I buy, for example, XFrog, will I be able to use these trees for both applications? Will I be able to scale trees up and down in size? Can I use parts of these trees for foreground framing (like tree branches framing the scene at the top of the view)? Do you just select a tree and place it where you want it to be?

Hi stevel! Welcome to this amazing world of 3D!

As for your question, I use ONYX Tree (and love it) but the general idea is the same for both apps. You generate your tree geometry, import it to your 3D app and texture it. From there you can do as you wish with your model: scale, turn, position in different ways in front of the camera, duplicate, use parts of the model for the over the head branches...

For the 2D you could generate maps from the trees you made (including an alpha mask) in the 3D app. Just position the model the way you want it, render with the right lighting and use the result as a map on a flat object in the background. There are many tutorials about foresting scenes with 2D plates (just Google it). I also believe that you could benefit from the tutorials that ship with your 3D application at this point.

Good luck,

Dani

Edited by daniohayon
gramer