How does one find somebody to...

AJLynn

So this sounds like a dumb question, but I can't figure out where to start except for asking around.

Somebody in the office came up to me and asked me to do some renders (not marketing quality but pretty much to show the client how much light is where) of their project, which is in Revit. I asked the computer whiz on the project why he doesn’t just do it in mental ray and he tells me he doesn’t have the time (as if I do). So now I’m trying to find an outside guy to do renderings of no particular quality from somebody else’s Revit files.

Where does one go for that kind of thing? All the guys I know only do medium-to-large projects and do high quality work.

You could just light and render the revit model to look like a white cardboard model in max using Vray. It is very effective or does he want full materials applied. I normally just do the window material and furthermore apply grey or white and the result is great for discussion.

Another way is to apply a couple of materials and fade them almost to white.

I am sure you could do the same in Mental Ray.

I would email one of the competent freelancers on the board whose work fits into the category you are looking for. Actually, their work should be better than what you are looking for, otherwise you will get a lot of juniors who are still the learning process, and it will impede the turn around of the project. The work flow out of Revit to the consultant will probably be a bigger obstacle to overcome, than locating someone to do the work.

But truly, with Revit2009, this should practically already be done. Depending on the level they want. There not doing themselves because they don't have time will make the entire process cost 2 to 3 times more than what it would if they did have the time. And now you run the risk of the consultant not understanding, or not doing things correctly.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

Hello,

I have just registered on CG's forum couple minutes ago :) and have found your post about renderings for Revit's model. Maybe I can help you. With my friends we are running a small company making mostly 3D for architects and have been working with all kinds of 3D files.

you can check out our website: fractalmind.eu .

Am I missing something why not export it out , fbx and import it to max , and render it.

This is a strange post.

It would take an hour tops.

phil

I'm also not quite sure I understand the dillema. I do these sort of quick studies philip has described above all the time. I don't particularly like having to do them but sometimes that's just all that is really needed. I usually end up pushing it about as far as I with the 2-3 hours I'm alloted and it becomes a different sort of challenge which can be fun. Sometimes I'll do a quick NPR style if that's appropriate.