What software could I use to do this?

mzagorski

Hey all,

Ive seen some NPR 3D line drawings which I like.. but wondering what workflow you guys might use to create this kind of stuff?

filepush.asp?file=shedkm_line_drawing.jpg

I need to make something like this for a fairly large 3 floor building for a University presentation 6 days from now... (and I'm still designing...) So maybe 1-2 days to make this model from Autocad plans, sections, and elevation.

Hello Mike,

There are several workflows that you could use to achieve that NPR look. Here go a few:

1. The combination of 3dsMax with a plug-in called Illustrate + finishing in photoshop. With Illustrate you can create hidden-line and or solid renderings and much more.

2. You could draw the perspective in Autocad using closed polylines for all your planes export the drawing as a .dxf file, import the file into a vector illustration soft such as corel draw and then fill the planes with the colors of your choice, change the line styles, draw or add vegetation...

3. If you prefer producing a 3d model, you should model the several pieces render them as 32 bit .tga files and composite them using layers in Photoshop. You would have to use a software like Coreldraw or Illustrator for the different linestyles though.

I hope that helps.

rgds,

Christian

I've done some stuff like that for school. I did a 3D model in autocad then plotted the views to .pdf files, openned them up in Illustrator and editted line thickness/linetype and added some solid colours, fluff, and some text.

I have Acrobat installed on my computer and that gives me the .pdf printer thingy, but here is a free pdf writer which may be good. I don't know as I've not used it myself.

that image was drawn in vectorworks. you can tell different drawings appart quite easily.

Vectorworks as a 2d pacakage is about as good as it gets for me. it is sooo quick and draws soo well. i love it! a close runner up is microstation for 2d , lovely line quality.

however, if you aren't too good with 2d perspectives then try archicad to model it and then save the perspective of the model as a 2d line file. then you can edit it about the show the cuts and any other 2d studd you want to add in. goos way to get acurate perspectives that.

anyway. there you have it.

bye!

I've worked closely with Sketchup in the past... and communicated with the main guys there (Yasser et al.) ... and I'd say that its not what Im looking for. Just not accurate enough for what I want to do.

If someone out there has actually made an image like the one I posted above.. please let me know how you did it.

Mike

Vectorworks seems to be what I need.. shame the company dont have a demo for me to try out - gotta get a CD sent out :( ... if anyone out there is a Whizz with vectorworks and knows how to make a 3d exploded model within 1-3 days .. and wants to earn some money. (but not much.. this is a student project so Im not going to break the bank).. let me know :D