furniture modeling

bjeves

Hi

I have a couple of large marketing jobs coming up which require me to model a number of specified high detail furniture models. These models from what I have found are not available to buy. So I am trying to find out what program you would advise to model high detail furniture for closeup images. I use 3D studio max in office.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

thanks

If you are comfortable with Max then I would stick with that. At Replicanation back in the dot-com era I had the most of the models built using Max though there were a number built using Maya and Lightwave and occassionally Rhino.

To be honest, the quality of the model was due to the skill of the 3D artist involved. Some packages did seem to do certain things better than others and vice-versa but at the end of the day, there really wasn't much to differentiate one from another.

If you wanted to do a really high detailed model, then some of the reference models we received from manufacturers in lieu of drawings were amazing, the Humanscale Freedom chair being the best example. They had been created using solid modelling packages but had massive poly counts when converted so are going to be overkill for your needs.

Jim

good point Billa.

Max can easily do furniture, no need to use any other program. And you're just introducing MORE possible complications by using another program - importing it into Max.

Just to clarify my earlier post and add to the previous one, Replicanation built furniture models and nothing else. We built about 500 different pieces over about 8 months and Max was our workhorse software. Stick with what you know and you should be fine. Show us a sample of what you are trying to build and you will get plenty of pointers and i bet that they will mostly involve editable polygons and splines. A Bertoia chair is going to be different to an Bames chair which will be different to a Newson chair which will be different to an Arad chair....Max can handle them all if you use the right techniques.

Jim

I am just saying it is the power of NURBS meets SubD , very powerful

I know max well but do not own or use it, so if he already has it and it works for him cool. asking a question begs a reply and answer, and this is mine like it or not, it's ok.

I like to speak to alternatives where i feel they are appropriate, the conversion process is quite easy, even look into powernurbs translator if you want to keep your geometry that way, but most likely not.

and who ever thinks they were coy in 'ratting' me out needs to make that all so important phone call to get your facts straight. :) nothing illegal about demo use, even a edu version is considered a full corporate version unlike any other company i know, worker owned at that.