FormZ for Architectural/Precise Modeling

3darchitect

I'm an undergrad architecture student looking to find a 3d modeling program that's right for me. I've tried lots of stuff and am now looking into trying FormZ. I want to specialize in Architectural Illustration once I get my degree, so I'm looking for a program that gives me a lot of easy 3d power, but also allows me to draw off of plans and use precise measurements.

I'm downloading the demo now and will start fiddling with it asap, but until then, does anyone have anything to say about FormZ in this area?

I hate it but my colleague loves it. Although this is a pretty pointless reply it does show you that its what you have experience with that you promote etc. I personally find it very buggy and slow on my Mac and not very good with large AutoCAD drawings. The only reason I open it is because I don't have AutoCAD and sometimes need to see text which SketchUp cannot display.

I think FormZ works great for the precise modeling that those of us with degree's in architecture try to adhere to.

I had a studio in undergrad that focused on using the computer to design and we used FormZ.

The firm I work for also uses formz for the architectural modeling aspect of it and then 3dsmax and vray for materials/lighting/rendering.

I think FormZ works great for the precise modeling that those of us with degree's in architecture try to adhere to.

Accuracy in modeling is not just for those with academic qualifications in Architecture you know...! I would put forward that all of these programs can be as accurate as you want them to be.

Accuracy in modeling is not just for those with academic qualifications in Architecture you know...! I would put forward that all of these programs can be as accurate as you want them to be.

Some applications make precision modeling easier than others. The way FormZ is set up, it tends to force you into precision modeling. This is why it is listed under 3d CAD software, whereas applications like Max are listed under 3d software.

Think of it this way, you can build buildings with information that comes out of apps like AutoCAD, FormZ, Revit, and I guess Rhino. But no one in their right mind would build a building with information that comes out of Max, Maya, or Lightwave.

On the same project we will use assets from form z, sketchup, revit and max. For arch viz max is the dominant app at this point and seems like it will be for some time. That should be your main app. Certainly not form z or sketchup. Maybe Cinema 4d, Rhino, Maya or one of the other 3d apps.

We use the others because that's what the designers have done their schematic design models in so we try to use as much of that as possible.

Precision in architecture is kind of a joke really. If you don't beleive me go watch somebody frame a building. Construction documents need to be precise so that if something goes wrong the architect can't get sued, but outside of that it is almost non existent. That's why they invented baseboards, door trim, Crown Moulding, expansion joints, etc. etc.

Think of it this way, you can build buildings with information that comes out of apps like AutoCAD, FormZ, Revit, and I guess Rhino. But no one in their right mind would build a building with information that comes out of Max, Maya, or Lightwave.

I don't need telling that Max etc would not be a good piece of software to deliver printed 2D construction drawings to site for a contractor to build from but this is not what this thread is about.

I want to specialize in Architectural Illustration once I get my degree, so I'm looking for a program that gives me a lot of easy 3d power, but also allows me to draw off of plans and use precise measurements.

The original post requests a program that provides 3D power and the ability to draw off plans and use precise measurements. In response to this I pointed out that they all have the ability to do this. (well certainly the programs I use do). If they didn't what use would they be in producing 3D models to depict the buildings in question? There is no mention of producing construction drawings, only using them.

This is why it is listed under 3d CAD software, whereas applications like Max are listed under 3d software.

thats true....and not true :p

You can easily build buildings with drawings that come from 3d software like max, maya and lightwave. each has it's own competent 2d drawing elements, and a good drafter or artist can use these pretty easily to knock out drawings and info that you can build from. Peeps still use drawing boards and pens to draw architectural drawings to build from.

Ok, using 3d software isn't the norm, but saying you wouldn't be in your right mind is a bit extreme wouldn't you say? ;)

you choose what suits you. learn your chosen tool, whatever it is, and you can do the job. The point is that different tools are 'better' suited to different tasks. (i've even seen photoreal renderings come out of autocad before now)

I still stand by "no one in their right mind would create construction drawings in 3dsMax." Max's measurement tools in themselves are lackluster at best, and you need a third party plug-in to even begin dimensioning.

I suppose you could draw all of the construction lines, and tables, and dimensions, dotted lines, ect.. ect.. in Max, but it would take at lest 10 times as long as it would to simply use a program that is designed to create construction documents.

I agree with you that drafting a set of construction documents by hand is more than exceptable, but I would add that it is also a lot better than drafting construction drawing in 3dsmax.

But yes, the original question was what is an exceptable piece of software to create an architectural visualization with. Most of the programs listed will work well, but the final answer needs a few more questions to be asked.

Will the visualization be the end product? Or will there be a need to dissect the model, and create drafted plans and elevations from it? Or will the drafted plans and elevations be crated, and then a model derived from it?

I you are taking plans and elevations that already exist, then Max, Lightwave, Cinema are all good choices. And will provide you with advanced options for creating visualizations, both in the modeling features, and rendering features. Your models will look better when created and rendered with a 3d software.

If you need to use your model to then produce drafted plans and elevations from, it will save time to produce them in CAD software. They will provide advanced options in creating accurate models that can be used for construction documents. Your models will offer more versatility when created with one of these softwares, and these softwares tend to need a supplemental package to get good renderings, such as 3dsMax or Cinema.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

i apologize if that came out wrong, i didnt mean to offend anyone.

Those of us with more of a technical background in architecture that have done architectural drafting and are used to working in autocad will find a 3D CAD program like FormZ better suited to that type of experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow ok lol. Too much to reply to (since I'm the one who started this thread). But this brought out some helpful insight. I have strong background in drafting and construction drawings from my internship (despite my age) and I'm also a bit OCD when it comes to precision, so even though I realize that a lot of minor differences in dimension won't show in a rendering, I will go crazy(er) if it doesn't match the drawings.

For the most part, I'm building a model off of already made plans/elevations. The model is purely for visualization and presenation, no drawings will be extracted from it. HOWEVER, I just started using Revit Architecture on my latest project and have found it to be very nice in that it creats all those aspects at once, and though I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, I understand the dwg export to Max is pretty clean for rendering with Vray. I'm also looking into Artlantis for rendering.

For now, I'm going to attempt to work with Revit to produce both my construction documents and model simultaneously. I'm an AutoCAD user since high school, so Revit integrates very nicely (accurately) with any of those drawings, and the dwg file seem to be a widely used file in many programs so my chances of import/export compatability seem to be high there.

I attached just a perspective view of the building I'm finishing up now. Its done in Revit, but not rendered, just shading with shadows.

I use FormZ for almost all of my modeling, and Cinema 4D with Vray for everything else. There are some things I really like about FormZ, and I have many years of experience with it, but it also feels like it's really fallen behind other 3d/CAD apps over the years.

One point I'll emphasize is that FormZ, in my opinion, can only be seriously used as a modeling tool, and it's quite good at that. It does have a 2d drafting component, but this has received virtually no attention in the last 10 years. And FormZ does have rendering capabilities, but they are very far behind many other applications. So, if you're comfortable with using one app for modeling, and something else for other parts of the process, then FormZ is worth considering, but by no means the only choice. If you want an all in one package, or something that comes close, FormZ is not the tool you want.

Jack

Hey Luke,

I think autodek is advocating using FBX and file link manager for revit/max 2009 interoperability, as opposed to dwg. I've seen an autodesk white paper on the "recommended procedure" somewhere on the net. It might be worth looking into if your planning on using mental ray. IMO file link manager and FBX is a pain if you're going to do any work in Max, but for direct export and rendering it might be what you're looking for.