Modelling problem. Bevelling / Filleting a hole.

Deano

Hi there,

I'm trying to produce a model of a concrete drainage block, it looks a little like a 3D letter 'n'. I've produced a 2D spline and extruded it and then put a hole in one side using the boolean tool. Now I need to bevel/fillet the edge of this hole so that its nice and smooth. I've converted the block to an editable poly and played with the sub object chamfer and bevel tools but the results are never very smooth. I would liken the hole shape I'm after to the end of a trumpet.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Deano

This question has been posted a few times before and it stands to reason that any basic 3D package would have the option to fillet a mesh or poly edge but, alas, that option does not exist in Max. It's rediculous that it doesn't but it just doesn't. The closest thing you can get without buying a special blugin is to chamfer the edges, then chamfer those resulting edges, and then if necessary chamfer again. I'd say about 50 percent of the time the results will be acceptable. The other alternative is to buy the power-solids plugin. It baisically adds solid modeling capabilities to Max. Power booleans for doing "good" booleans, but you can't fillet edges with it. If you have the cash, get both but they aren't cheap. I think power booleans is $195 and power solids is $295. Try the method I just mentioned though it may work for your needs. Good luck!

I found this script a while ago. Can't remember where but the script is credited to MartinAnderson. The script is called ChamferMadness (edit - took down script for webspcae - sorry) and it only works on editable polys (not editable meshes). Basically you chamfer the edge once and then running the script refines the chamfer (ie makes it rounded like fillet). Give it a try. I think I found it somewhere on the VRay forums.

Oh yeah, don't forget to smooth after using script (not mesh smooth, just regular smooth).

[ September 30, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: xgarcia ]

Hey DelfoZ-

Creating the effect is possible, of course. But the actual task of filleting an edge is not, you have to agree there.

As far as that script goes, that's baisically automating a pretty simple task that you could just do manually as I described above. Definetly right about the smoothing.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've gone down the road that a few of you mentioned, gradually refining the edge to look like a fillet by using the chamfer tool several times in succession and then adding a smooth modifier. Doesn't look too bad, but considering some of the sophisticated tools available in max you think they would iron out some of the basic tools that we are more likely to need every day. The likes of Form Z has had a useful rounding tool since day one.

Regards

Deano