good eye level height???

Dave Buckley

nope they are not set to sky portal, but i hve changed the colour of them to a blueish to replicate the effect of a sky portal.

when i changed them to sky portal, the render times went through the roof

to be honest i don't really know if they are having much effect.

i have a vraysun and vraysky, sun left as default, plane lights in the window both with a multiplier of 1, and also a physical cam set for interior daylight, i'm using reinhard colour mapping with gamma of 2.2, and burn set at 0.1

for some reason if i take the plane lights away the scene appears to go a little darker, weird so they must be having some effect. aparently using plane lights along with an environment (in this case vraysky) gives a smoother GI, but i think i'm just using them to cast a bit of colour into the room.

then again i'm learning, i wouldn't know any different, i'm now just re rendering 1 with a view out of the windows and softer shadow edges

With a multiplier of 1 on the plane lights they won't be having much effect. I just checked a recent scene I did with a physical cam setup and I had them at 15. Use whatever gives you the right balance though and probably best to expose your camera without them if you want to keep it realistic. Or try it without them and see how you go, you may have to increase your render settings to get a smooth result though.

in the scene that you checked and they were at 15, what does it look like without them?? too dark??? couldn't you just compensate for that with the exposure, like i said in another thread, they are there purely and simply to give a cleaner GI solution i think, they are also having an effect on the colour being cast into the room, when i remove them the blue from the sky comes through a lot stronger