Lightscape and Brazil

mark johnson

I would disagree with that!

I have a good knowledge of both programs and I wouldn't say brazil is slow at all. Try rendering an interior office space in lightscape with lots of desks, chairs, people etc and you would be waiting forever to get a decent result and thats only if wour PC hasn't crashed cos it's run out of RAM eek2.gif

The good thing about brazil is that it can handle huge amounts of polygons and can render heavy scenes with ease :)

Don't get me wrong, I love lightscape and the quality of renders "can" be amazing but you have to spend much more time modeling and seting up a scene to get decent results.

Maybe brazil is faster against a not optimized lightscape scene, but to be honest i wouldn't suggest you to start learning lightscape now, because you will not get any updates from AD so you better start learning Brazil or an alternative competitor.

If you like the way lightscape stores radiosity then have a look at the 3dsmax plugin "Insight" from www.integra.co.jp . It's very fast and accurate and have IES support too and costs only 350usd... great value!

Else give Brazil a try, it costs about 1000usd .. you get for the same price a crossupgrade to Lightwave, so i wouldn't say it's cheap!

For interior scene I suggest you do an alternate renderer rather than radiosity. Tweaking an interior scene in lightscape especially if you reach high detail furniture will cost twice as much is you did it with GI renderer.

I am comparing straight rendering speed - not scene processing and I am taking into account animation, not just renderings.

Sorry i'm not against you ;) but i think modelling stage was take into account in every project and can't just leave as secondary things. How about a pillow with an extra soft hair in the corner would be calculated in lightscape, or say a fire place with a lot of compd accecories, photoframes and statues next to it? my client always ask such -unnecessary- things and i pushed to add them whether postworked or with mesh. Not mentioned how limited lighscape does sfx, SSS or caustic effect for instance.

But again the top of problem was still hardware technology. 1 Terrabyte processor and 512 Gygabyte Ram will eliminate this problem :D

The only inconvenient of brazil (for me) is that it doesn't accept IES files as lightscape does it or more recently max 5 accepts too.

it's very usefull to treat whith real luminaires caracteristics you can find in constructors's docs !!