F.L.Wright

gius84

big hallo to everybody. someone know something about this fact?

"en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Lloyd_Wright"

about his studies.

how he have do to make plus of 400 buildings without have a degree?

nevertheless he have the authorization to built the Guggenheim of NY.

tnx

Making it through architecture school entirely about Architecture and has little to do with becoming an architect. Becoming a licensed architect has little to do with Architecture and everything to do with regulating the profession.

I know that likely doesn't make much sense unless you've jumped through the hoops.

@Horhe: yes, also Carlo Scarpa doesn't have a degree, and like he much important persons doesn't have it.

it's a hard way to built, but i have just take a degree in design.

i've just think to undertake course in architecture...but i'm in doubt about the type of qualification that at the end of 3 years i can have.

with the qualification at "junior" which type of buildings can i design?

what do you advise me to do?

another question...which is the right country to undertake a career as architect? (a cauntry that allow me to test and to built in free way)

another question...which is the right country to undertake a career as architect? (a cauntry that allow me to test and to built in free way)

Forget Canada and the US. You'd be starting from zero. Even if you were already licensed in Italy, you would have to complete an internship of at least 3 yrs and then write the ARE exams (seven of them). Without licensure you are very limited in what you can build, basically its houses under 4000 sf.

You can't train to become an Architectural Celebrity... You can put yourself in the right position via a formal education and having natural talent and ability / belief blah blah.

What the difference is the vast majority of Architects work within a business structure like any other profession and so go through the education process and then the hierarchy of a company. Some practices are more design driven but most are commercially driven. The best thing for you to do is find a company with an ethos similar to your own and move that way.

You won't begin by designing one-off masterpieces for the palace of King Jeff of Alaska etc but with natural talent, plenty of experience and good fortune you might get there.

Every country has its own regulatory bodies for Architecture as well as the buildings that they design and assist in getting built. Although many people will find this insulting if you are thinking about using your architectural qualifications abroad it will be easier to get it recognised by an architectural company if its from a European or North American Institution, preferably (of course) from the country you intend to work in. The Architectural bodies in each country will have their own criteria for licensing and what degrees from which countries count.

Take a look at "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand (there's a movie, too, but I can't recommend it as I have not seen it). An architect is not somebody with an architecture degree, but somebody with the vision and integrity to see an architectural project through from beginning to end.

Having a degree helps one to become an architect, but isn't a prerequisite.

Actually, I don't think this is true. Having either a professional degree in architecture, or a masters in architecture is required to be an architect by law. You don't need a degree to be a designer. An architect and designer are not necessarily the same thing, though they can be.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

The term Architect is protected by law. You can (in the UK) be a Naval Architect, a Landscape Architect or an Architect, all of which (Landscape being a bit of a grey area) are protected and upheld by licensing and registration boards. So while any old pirate can draw a building, sell his design services or build a house, he cannot call himself an Architect or market himself as one.

Architectural degrees / qualifications are a prerequisite for registration with these boards unless you're Frank Lloyd Wright.

Snap Travis! (post above)

Architectural degrees / qualifications are a prerequisite for registration with these boards unless you're Frank Lloyd Wright.

Not true. There is a method of becoming an architect through work experience. In Canada/US I believe its 10 yrs under supervision of licensed architect. At that point you are able to take the ARE. Passing the ARE is the only requisite for being a licensed architect as far as I know. As someone who is meandering down the ARE path, I can say its a long road.

you know me

and only in AZ @ 6 years experience. other wise yes 10 years via NCARB

BUT get your IDP in before the end of the year if you have any backdated because they will no longer accept more than 6 mo. at a time now, and only electronically in the future too.

Edited by Antisthenes

Not true. There is a method of becoming an architect through work experience. In Canada/US I believe its 10 yrs under supervision of licensed architect. At that point you are able to take the ARE. Passing the ARE is the only requisite for being a licensed architect as far as I know. As someone who is meandering down the ARE path, I can say its a long road.

That's what I was hinting at with the 'unless you're Frank Lloyd Wright" comment... ;)

I know this route is available to become an approved Architectural Technologist without a recognised degree (its 10 years proven work experience and passing interview with a portfolio of diverse modules approved and rubberstamped), I didn't know it was available to Architects.

Yeah, I think about two states are left that allow this "broadly experianced architect" route. And they can only be an architect in that particular state in which they have working.

1 state allows ARE at 6 years experience w/o an accredited degree. AZ

NCARB is national so their broad experience route of 10 years allows you to gain reciprocity in all states.

NCARB is national. This is true. But reciprocity is the jurisdiction of the state and each board determines who will be allowed to practice architecture. From NCARBS own website this is a list of states that allow a person with "X" amount of years of experiance (within parenthasis) to practice.

AZ(8 years) CA(8 years) CO(2350 training units) GA(10, see OCGA 43-4-11-(b)(2)) HI(11) ID(8) MD(13 years) NH(13 years) NY(12 years) VT(9 years) WA(8) WI(7 years)

There are 12 states that will allow you to practice without a degree. Those states, through reciprocity may or may not allow you to practice in their state depending on other factors.

Here is the list of those states that will not allow you to use experiance only in lieu of a degree.

Question 2c on NCARB site. Will your board accept experience as alternative means of satisfying your education requirement?

No

AL AR CT DC DE FL IA IN KS KY LA MA MI MN MS MT NC ND NJ NM NV OH OK OR RI SC SD UT VA WV WY

Reciprocity through an NCARB cert. is as follows. The list grows but in no way does it include every state.

Question 15 Does your board accept, for registration, a Certificate Record based on the Broadly Experienced Architect process?

Yes

AK AL AZ CO CT IA ID IL IN KY LA MA ME NC ND NE NH NM NV OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TX VA VT WV WY

No

FL GA MD MN MS NJ WA

Other

AR(Yes, after June 1, 2005)

CA(Contact board)

DC(Contact board)

DE(Contact board)

GU(Not at this time)

HI(Yes, but all qualifications would be evaluated before issuing a license.)

KS(Yes, if licensed prior to 1/1/93)

MI(Contact board)

MO(Contact Board)

MT(yes-contigent on Board review)

NY(Contact Board)

TN(Contact board)

UT(Yes, if NCARB issues a Council Record)

WI(Contact board)

Edited by rktect3j