A New Version of Onyx to arrive next week!

Brian Smith

I've seen quite a few postings lately about whether or not Onyx should be used or abandoned, so I thought I'd mention that if all goes as planned, Onyx will be announcing a new and much improved version of its program next week.

Can't say anything more about it right now, but I'll be doing a free 1-hour webinar in mid January to highlight the new program.

Incidentally, if anyone plans to upgrade or to purchase the program for the 1st time, Onyx is extending an exclusive 10% discount to anyone that has purchased a 3DATS book. This disccount actually covers the cost of the Beginner to Intermediate book.

Oooh interesting. any news on the vegitation front is good news!!

Can you convince them to actually think about building a DEMO VERSION.

Lack of a demo is really one of the primary reasons why I wouldn't purchased from them in the past. and after purchasing bionatics, xfrog, finalrender, and realflow.. I'm a big fan of not paying for anything until I can try it in my environment.

IOnyx will be announcing a new and much improved version of its program next week.

Can't say anything more about it right now, but I'll be doing a free 1-hour webinar in mid January to highlight the new program.

Do you know if it is Mac friendly??

Lee

Has anyone tried any of the new features all that I see is that it has been...

"polished further and thoroughly checked for stability in 32-bit and especially in 64-bit environment."

Sounds like maintenance not a new release. Some specific details would be nice. The web site does still look like 1990.

...The web site does still look like 1990.

The MAX2009 update on the website is not the version announced by Brian in the first post of this thread. That one should probably come out tomorrow. Although I find it strange that such a significant update would be "spoiled" by such an unofficial pre-announcement.

The MAX2009 update on the website is not the version announced by Brian in the first post of this thread. That one should probably come out tomorrow. Although I find it strange that such a significant update would be "spoiled" by such an unofficial pre-announcement.

Spoiled? Alrighty then.

Yes it should come out on Friday (though it's looking now like next week), but they don't do press releases...meaning they don't do anything but update their website. They ask me to mention it so I did, and considering all the people questioning the usefulness of the software lately, I think it was worthwhile.

Oooh interesting. any news on the vegitation front is good news!!

Can you convince them to actually think about building a DEMO VERSION.

Lack of a demo is really one of the primary reasons why I wouldn't purchased from them in the past. and after purchasing bionatics, xfrog, finalrender, and realflow.. I'm a big fan of not paying for anything until I can try it in my environment.

Sorry, I can't convince them to read email more than once a week, but I agree and they've heard the suggestion before.

...they don't do anything but update their website...

That's a little harsh to say ;)

...They ask me to mention it so I did, and considering all the people questioning the usefulness of the software lately, I think it was worthwhile...

Worthwhile to say the least. I also use every other plant/tree plugins/software and Onyx is still the easiest to use with a most impressive output, but an interface and interactivity from the stone ages. So any improvements in this area would be MORE then welcome. If only textures including opacity maps, guided branch creation, LOD, custom 3D leaves, etc in the plant modeller were possible. I just found it strange letting an unofficial say something is coming without the slightest details!

...do check out Grow fx as well...

Although I like GrowFX, it's not as easy as Onyx. It's more a plugin version of XFrog, which is a procedural modeler. It's also very slow and crashes a lot on large trees. At least that is what I experienced trying the latest demo. For my taste it's also too complex if you just need trees as entourage for archviz.

On the positive side they have a 16% discount during the holidays !!

Do you know if it is Mac friendly??

Lee

i would not expect them anymore developing any OSX version. they dropped the mac development of 'flower' a long time ago, not keeping their promises. which is disappointing because some of us mac users invested a lot of money into the suite (and into treestorm for EIAS much time before).

i'm still using the current tree suite on leopard with just a few hickups, but who knows if the next OSX generation will not break it?

the only thing we can do is to send them a mail asking for continuing mac support, as i did several times...

cheers

markus

Onyx Just Released the new Software!!!!

http://www.onyxtree.com/

From The site:

IMPORTANT NEWS! We are pleased to announce the release of two new products and two upgrades:

OnyxGRASS -- dedicated parametric modeler for grass ..... NEW PRODUCT!

Onyx2Max -- new plugin for Max ..... NEW PRODUCT!

OnyxGARDEN Suite 2 -- now with six modelers + Onyx2Max ..... UPGRADE!

OnyxGARDEN SuperBundle 2 -- more tools, more plants ..... UPGRADE!

i'm still using the current tree suite on leopard with just a few hickups, but who knows if the next OSX generation will not break it?

the only thing we can do is to send them a mail asking for continuing mac support, as i did several times...

cheers

markus

Yes.... what a disappointment for mac users.... it seems that they are not going to develop things, so I will look for an alternative... I have emailed them ... but they obviously have a different plan for the app .... shame... the grass looks really nice... and I have been waiting for the flower suite for mac for ages....

Lee