Snap Accuracy

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Hey guys,

Have an odd problem that I thought one of you may have seen. I've been using MAX's snaps to snap planes by vertex, but the accuracy of the snapping it so bad I end up getting gaps in all of my geometry. The odd thing is that it only seems to happen on my copy at Home not at work. I'm starting to wonder if this is a video card issue. What do you think?

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Snaps were never very accurate in max/viz.

I suggest you use the align tool (alt+A) on objects and sub-objects.

It's even better to draw everything on coordinates like we do. It's tedious, but correct.

rgds

nisus

nisus is right. i've never found max/viz to be very accurate as you zoom in.

for this reason i always do my modelling in AutoCAD. This is wat CAD is designed for, max isn't. should be but it isn't.

it made me laugh reading an earlier post about ppl who insist that serious modelling should be done in max and not cad. so backward, and not just imho. but thats another topic.

also, which my help, the closer your max object/model is to ucs co-ords 0,0,0 the more accurate the editing of your model will be.

funny little bug this but believe me it's true.

what i generally do in this situation is quickly import back into cad, make my ammendments, then shifty it back to max, this way i can be sure i done a 100% accurate job. doing it in max gives me doubts.

Hi all,

Indeed max is more accurate near the origin. In the preferences you even have a slider to 'control' this, although I think there's no need to control it: it has to be correct, quote!

So be careful if you import from Autocad (or any other cad program) and your model is NOT near the origin. Move it in your cad program near the origin and then import.

rgds

nisus

I have noticed the size you work in has a lot to do with how well max behaves, so if i have problems with snap or viewports rotating too fast/slow, zooming too slow or erratic.

I will scale the whole scene up 1000% (or more)

and see if that has fixed it, if not ill scale it down then.

When you need to work in a certain scale, like for lightscape, remembering the scale value, and reversing it when your done modeling, should get you back to the original size again.

another way......

There are 2 "units" area that people get confused with,

one is under customize....unit setup

this is where you are ment to change to metric or imperial, and your scene size. (metres/centimetres etc)

And the other is under preferences....

wich is supposed to be there ONLY to fix strange viewport behavior, such as being zoomed in too close or too far away, snaps not working properly etc.

• Administrators

Thanks guys all is good now. Although I'm pretty familiar with MAX and VIZ, I have not used them in production much and still have quite a bit to learn. I have spent most of my career in Lighstcape and AutoCAD :)

[ May 23, 2002, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Mottle ]

• 4 weeks later...

This is for all of you who claim that they are having "zooming" problems in their view ports and snapping problems.

(1) when snapping ALWAYS make sure your "Use Axis Constraints" option is checked in your snaps options.

(2) Turn your "Snaps Strength" to its max value of 20 pixles

(3) When spapping and zooming in your 3D views NEVER use "perspective" view!!! ALWAYS use your "user" view

(4)If you are working on a large scene then i suggest that you use the "Isolate" tool. For those that don't know, the isolate tool will bring your object to the center of the world axis and hide all other objects while in Isolation mode.

Follow these steps and you should have no problems with your snaps. I always use snaps and they are almost always accurate

biggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gif

[ June 18, 2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Erik Lund ]