cgarchitect in 3D World

nisus

Hi Jeff,

Congratulations! I just discovered a link in 3D World issue 31 - yes, i'm catching up the mags - on page 29. The 9-page-long article "Land on your Dream Job" covers all areas in which 3d is used. Cgarchitect.com got its spot on the usefull links in the 'architectural visualisation' section: a well deserved spot for our industry portal ;)

rgds

nisus

not as sexy as film work but inifitely more secure... Forget about ILM
Darn... and I just stated my new job at Digital Domain.... yeap, I'm over at the dark side now... I guess the reason I left was due to the "limited opportunity for growth." After 9 years of doing 3D architecture, I had had enough of rendering reception desks... I wanted to blow up stuff. I can learn SO much more here!

The one thing that I do not agree with - hence my colorings and underlined sentences - is the following quote "If you want to be involved in telling a story, look elsewhere" because I think good architecture also has a story to be told. What do you guys think about this? (Or should we wait for siggraph 2003 for this?)

rgds

nisus

Sure architecture can tell a story... A really good one at that. A lot of my work during grad school was about the narrative of space. My medium of choice to tell my story was animation. Also, landmarks become an importnat part of narrative. Usually in a very important, but supportive role. For example, you would say: "I was at the Eiffel Tower when I met my wife." The location, and the architecture set the mood and feel the narrative. Also, architecture helps set up the stage in terms of imagination and visualization. My previous sentence instantly places you there in the visual sense, compared to saying: "I met my wife at 4 pm." for example.

So stories are told with arhitecture.

But the art of making stories where arechitecture is the primary character is hard... but not impossible.

For coorporate designs, where most architectural animations are paid for, the story tends to be very dull... I've done them for many years and not one was super fun to watch. Then again, no corporate promotional piece is fun to watch.

If you had a really huge budget with live actors, a narrator that is walking through the space, camera tracked shots, etc... you may have a better chance.