Displacement Maps in Vray for sketchup not working

I just started out learning Vray for Sketchup. I am trying to create a texture with a displacement map. No matter what setting I try adjusting, the texture still appears flat. I've played with the multiplier setting, adjusting it from high numbers to low numbers. I have also adjusted the displacement settings under vray options. Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have some tips/tricks?

• 2 weeks later...

i've gone through hell trying to figure out displacement maps. not sure if this is the same problem your having but... every material needs to be in its own group/componant. if there are two materials together on one entity the material will render flat. good luck... let me know if you figure out anything further.

-skan

• 1 year later...
i've gone through hell trying to figure out displacement maps. not sure if this is the same problem your having but... every material needs to be in its own group/componant. if there are two materials together on one entity the material will render flat. good luck... let me know if you figure out anything further.

-skan

Thanks a lot Skan! This was exactly my problem!

• 1 year later...

Skan...

Bless you dude. I've spent 7 days trying to figure out displacement maps... I couldn't get anything to work.... I just had to assign the same material to the rest of the faces of my object like you said. Thanks!

Although, I think that kind of sucks that I can have more than one material per object and assign displacements. This means I'll have to model oddly to get the results I want. Such as cutting faces from geometry to have them floating as pieces to assign more than one material w/displacement.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

1 - It has to be a group on its own

2- I would be very cautious of your subdiv and edge length settings. If doing something hi res try using subdiv of 75 and edge length of 20 first. I find the default of 256/1 can really kill processing times

3- I have never heard of using high number multipliers. 1.0 equals 1 inch of displacement from what I understand

• 9 years later...