Gi on interior scenes

caicedor

yes thats the problem

what i want is to add reflection to this material

about your second question, probably not

this material is part of the " paint bucket " in sketchup

do i have to get some other material from vray?

u know , i'm not much of a expert in materials

a friend of mine once did one render with this floor

and it looked amazing

the main problem its that i'm working on a project for

another friend of mine that own's a gym

and u know the type of floor in every gym right?

exactly the one i want

Caustics will help a little bit but they shouldn’t be used to lighten up a scene, they are mainly an effect and will cause your render times to go up

Maxer, i think Rodrigo is talking about the 'Refractive GI Caustics' which are different to the Caustics effect that you are talking about.

to my knowledge, Rodrigo has correctly used this setting to allow the GI to pass through refractive objects.

The first has caustics refractions off, the other has caustics refractions turned on, and the last one has caustics rafractions turned off and windows are erased...

just run your test again and look at the effect on render times. personally, i have always left this option on but wouldn't mind seeing the effect on render time...

From the vray help files:

Refractive GI caustics - this allows indirect lighting to pass through transparent objects (glass etc). Note that this is not the same as Caustics, which represent direct light going through transparent objects. You need refractive GI caustics to get skylight through windows, for example.

Basically if your glass is visible to GI then you need this on. If your glass is hidden from GI then you can turn this off.

It also mentions that:

Note that GI caustics are usually hard to sample and may introduce noise in the GI solution.

Which sounds like having them off and hiding your glass from GI should give you a faster, cleaner GI solution.

Which sounds like having them off and hiding your glass from GI should give you a faster, cleaner GI solution.

it does indeed. quick test attached...

the left image is with glass on and refl. caustics on

the right one with refl caustics off and glass not visible to GI

about a 50% reduction in render time!

did a third test with refl. caustics on and glass off and works the same as right image.

clearly, hiding the glass from GI is the way to go, unless of course you want the glass to affect GI for whatever reason.