Real time visualization walkthru

jucaro

Here are some of my suggestions:

1. If it's a relatively simple house ie a couple of rooms, why not use Shockwave 3d within Director? That works well, and the shockwave 3d plugin can run within a browser. However, you will need someone to program it Lingo wise. There is collision detection with Shockwave 3D through the use of Havok.

2. I haven't used the Unreal engine, but the only reason you would want to go to that trouble, is that it uses a BSP tree. If you wanted to do walkthroughs of an entire building that's complicated, then the game engine only draws the polygons that need to be seen.

Regardless, building your project for realtime, definitely requires some forethought and planning.

I'm quite happy with exporting a VIZ/max model into:

- Cult 3D VIZ exporter. That's a very simple process.

- Blaxxun VRML exporter + Blaxxun contact

I did try TurnTool a long time ago and it seemed capable.

One of our students converted the Art-museum in Bonn into Unreal 2003. It looked cool, but not perfect (He used baked lighting for the outside, but vertex-lighting for the inside, which sucks). His model was made in AutoCAD, converted into VIZ, then in Max and finally into a 300 MB large model/texture-set for Unreal.

It took a long time to load up, but then the walk itself was fluent (P4 2.4 GHz, Quadro900). I managed to more or less walk through it on my older Dual P3 1GHz, 256MB RAM and a Matrox G450.

The work he needed to convert is was not commercially viable, but it was a first-timer and he also needed to write about it :)

• 2 weeks later...