Color modes WILL drive me crazy some day...

AJLynn

Here's one of my most obvious examples so far of the 35dx CA/Ghosting issue.. doesn't look like its easily fixable in ACR either, I dont have NX to try that route on it. http://www.buchhofer.com/upload/files/DirtRoad_.jpg 3mb.

Oh well, for what i bought it for (allowing to shoot crazy children indoors=90% of it, its awesome.)

Jeff, thanks for the Color management writeup, I've read some much less understandable info on that in the past for sure.

Color Calibration is a "secret passion" of mine as well, though it didn't start out that way!

Don Hutch's Hutchcolor site is an excellent resource for info. They also sell a color target for scanners & printers that is far more encompassing than the typical Kodax IT8. Pricey, but we have had excellent success when coupling this target with our Epson printer & Microtek scanner.

He has created several custom RGB profiles, some designed for use when importing from a digital camera. Once you get it into your system in a satisfying way, then your conversion to your target environment will be more pleasing. Assume a calibrated monitor of some quality of course.

So much info here...

http://www.hutchcolor.com/Free_stuff.html

Have fun!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Andrews, I took the ICC profiles for the MBP display and the TV that you created and plotted them together with that picture of the acorn you posted on that other forum. I created a quick movie of the 3D color spaces so you can visually see what is going on.

http://media.cgarchitect.com/color/andrew.mp4

The horseshoe shape on the ground plane is the spectrum lotus of all of the visible color to the human eye. The wireframe is the gamut plot of your TV, and the transparent volume inside it, is your MBP gamut. All of those dots are the pixels from your image plotted with the sRGB color space as the profile (scale).

You wanted to know why the colors did not look the same outside of a color managed environment as they do inside one.

Outside of a color managed environment the embedded image profile (sRGB) is ignored, but windows assumes all images are in the sRGB color space. As such it is treated as those is were mapped to the sRGB color space, which I've plotted in that movie.

When you view this image on your MBP, you can see how many of the pixels (mapped with sRGB) fall outside of the gamut of your display. Meaning the display will show more desaturated colors, as the closer to the center of the gamut plot you get, the less saturated the colors become. It has to choose the most saturated color it can given those RGB values.

Conversely when you view that same image on your TV, with a gamut that is considerably larger, all of those image pixels are remapped to fit inside it, which makes the image appear much more saturated.The reason this does not happen inside a color managed application is that your monitor profile can be used. The color managed app looks at the monitor profile and adjusts the colors that are output to the display, so that they still reflect the original intent of the embedded profile.

That having been said, if your device can not physically reproduce a really saturated red, it does not matter what color space or color managed environment you are in, it's only going to produce what it can.