Compose rendered elemnts in photoshop

Hello

i've been surfing the web for how to properly do some composing (or compositing....don't know how to say it right) of rendered elemnts (vray 1.5 sp2 3dsmax 2009 desing) .....i wandered if some1 could give me a good tutorial on how to do it properly from a to z....like from whitch elemts to render and how to compose (composite lol) them in photoshop (mine is cs4)....i found that you can save them in OpenEXR file withh all elemtns in one file ....but photoshop cannot see them without this pugin called proEXR....i downloaded it, placed it in plugins directory and it just doesn't work....i don't know.....so please help

i don't have a quick answer for a tutorial to guide you.... but for the proexr part, once you have their file placed in your "....photoshop/plug-ins/file formats folder"

then just do an "open as" and set the file type to ProExr, instead of opening it as a regular exr.

I don't know if proEXR is suportes in PS CS4 cause when i put it there.....i don't see any signs that PS understands cause......there are nothing in PS taht says proEXR.....i mean i caont open as an proEXR fiel.....i cannot exxport as an proEXR file....basiycly there's nothing.....nothing happens....so i'm bumed out basicly

Composite Breakdown for Vray (as posted by others)..... (Add) = Linear Dodge

Vray Specular (Add)

Vray Background (Add)

Vray Self Illumination (Add)

GROUP (Add)

___Vray Raw Reflection (Multiply)

___Vray Refraction Filter (Normal)

GROUP (Add)

___Vray Reflection Filter (Normal)

GROUP (Add)

___Vray Raw Global Illumination (Multiply)

___Vray Diffuse Filter (Normal)

Vray Raw Lighting (Multiply)

Vray Diffuse Filter (Normal)

Base of any scene, regardless of engine...

Vray Background (Add)

Vray Refraction (Add)

Vray Reflection (Add)

Vray Global Illumination (Add)

Vray Lighting (Normal)

Making smart comments about whether or not someone comments on your post usually doesn't generate additional posts.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

well well well ......i can see a huge bunch of ppl trying to help me with my problrm...thanx a lot fellas....i gues my problems should be my problem and nobodys else...

Perhaps if you were to use proper sentences then people would be more likely to read your posts and be better able to understand the problem too. Just a thought. :)

Composite Breakdown for Vray (as posted by others)..... (Add) = Linear Dodge

Vray Specular (Add)

Vray Background (Add)

GROUP (Add)

___Vray Raw Reflection (Multiply) Should this be Raw Refraction? Not Raw Reflection

___Vray Refraction Filter (Normal)

GROUP (Add)

___Vray Reflection Filter (Normal)

GROUP (Add)

___Vray Raw Global Illumination (Multiply)

___Vray Diffuse Filter (Normal)

Vray Raw Lighting (Multiply)

Vray Diffuse Filter (Normal)

Base of any scene, regardless of engine...

Vray Background (Add)

Vray Refraction (Add)

Vray Reflection (Add)

Vray Global Illumination (Add)

Vray Lighting (Normal)

Making smart comments about whether or not someone comments on your post usually doesn't generate additional posts.

Question Above

• 4 weeks later...

CHG,

Thanks for that extremely helpful list.

Im trying to get ProEXR to work in Photoshop CS4 Extended. No luck at all. Ive put the plugin into various places, no option to open/import .exr files anywhere! Cant seem to find a workflow for getting .exr passes into P/shop. Ive upgraded from CS1, so I dont have the luxury of knowing how it worked in CS3 (which is the version listed on the ProEXR website)

Any help much appreciated, Im really pulling my hair out over this one!

Tom.

CHG,

Thanks for that extremely helpful list.

Im trying to get ProEXR to work in Photoshop CS4 Extended. No luck at all. Ive put the plugin into various places, no option to open/import .exr files anywhere! Cant seem to find a workflow for getting .exr passes into P/shop. Ive upgraded from CS1, so I dont have the luxury of knowing how it worked in CS3 (which is the version listed on the ProEXR website)

Any help much appreciated, Im really pulling my hair out over this one!

Tom.

I got all of that information off a detailed thread on the Vray forum. If I have a chance this weekend, i will try to find the link to it, and post it. It is at least a year old. Or the original post is at least a year old.

The ProEXR plugin is just a replacement for Photoshop's own OpenEXR file format, not a filter or anything. All you need do, in CS3 at least, is to put the ProEXR plugin into the 'plugins/file formats' folder then disable the original OpenEXR plugin by changing the file extension from .8BI to something else.

Then when you open an exr file it will use the ProEXR format and give you various import options. If you want a multi-channel exr file to try you can get one here:

http://www.fnordware.com/OpenEXR/x35_3a.exr

It does only mention compatibility with CS3 on the fnord site though so I'm not sure if it works with CS4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In my 3d World I believe last month they had a nice how to on compositing a hall way visualization. Made me realize I have no idea what I'm doing. I know the basic render layers, diffuse, shadows, reflections....and so on.... I've seen so many and heard of so many ways to do this.

Guess what I'm saying is there seems to be no real wrong or right way? I heard that it's best to do as much as possible in the actual 3d program. Reflections and such and to make the final composite more of a tweaking? That's where and when you'd add people, maybe more plants and such.

Does that sound about right?

In my 3d World I believe last month they had a nice how to on compositing a hall way visualization. Made me realize I have no idea what I'm doing. I know the basic render layers, diffuse, shadows, reflections....and so on.... I've seen so many and heard of so many ways to do this.

Guess what I'm saying is there seems to be no real wrong or right way? I heard that it's best to do as much as possible in the actual 3d program. Reflections and such and to make the final composite more of a tweaking? That's where and when you'd add people, maybe more plants and such.

Does that sound about right?

There is most definitely a right and wrong way when it comes to reassembling the elements in the correct manner and with the correct blending modes. Especially when you get into premultiplied alphas etc. You are right though that you can choose to use a few or a lot of elements depending on which ones you need to adjust.

If you want the best explanation of compositing render elements this Gnomon dvd covers it all and explains in great detail the pitfalls.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/431/Multi-Pass-Compositing