Dual Boot

I am doing a new project and needed a quick machine now. I became tired of waiting for the Xeons I7 (5580) and put together a Rampage II Extreme with an I7 Extreme edition and 12 gb of RAM.

All the above with Windows XP 32 bit. Now I want to put the Vista 64 bit but I don't have an idea on how to install a dual boot.

The Rampage II has a Raid 0 with two of the the Western Digital 10,000 RPM. I read I have to make a partition and on that partition I place the Vista.

1. How do I make the partition. Do I need some sort of software for this.

2. Do I do a clean install and use the 64 bit Raid drivers that came with the Rampage motherboard. Will this use the the Raid created for Windows XP 32 bit or will it erase the Raid 0 and do a new one.

3. Will it be easier just to put a new hard drive or another Raid 0 for the Vista 64.

4. I tried to get here in Atlanta a copy of Windows XP 64 bits. Nobody has them. Will it be better to use Windows XP 64 rather than Vista 64.

It took me a while to install the Windows 32 and I am afraid of damaging that installation.

After I do the dual boot I am going to see about the overclocking. Any sugestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Elliot

PD

The machine seems to be fatser than any of the Dual CPU machines I have here, including my Dual Opteron's. I used a gamer video card that seems to work OK. It is a 4870 X2.

Edited by Elliot

Ross

Thanks for the information. A while ago I went to the local store and they only had the Vista Home Premium 64 Bits. I wonder now if I made a mistake. The sales person told me that this Home Premium is basically the same as the Business Edition. Is this true.... ?

I am already installing it as a dual boot.

Thanks

Elliot

Edited by Elliot

I just recently switched from xp 32 to vista 64 and after I tweaked some of the vista settings I've been really happy with it. I'm not sure if my computer runs any faster. But I can now render out the scenes I was having trouble with before. Being able to use more than 4gb of ram has been a life saver.

Ross

During the last 3 years due to all the bad publicity about Vista I refused to change from my 6 or 7 years old Windows XP. After installing Vista, this program has definitely given a new life to my new computer. If doesn't run faster it made it look more stable. The renders do seem to work better with all the 12 gb RAM available.

The next thing I will try is the overclocking of the I7 - 965.

Thanks

Elliot

Edited by Elliot

Interesting...... Without overclocking.... the render speed of my favorite scene is 2:15 minutes On the old computer is almost 9 minutes......

Additionally the Vista 64 seems to be more stable.... less flickering.....

Elliot

Out of interest I just recently installed Windows7 Beta on a new hard drive I put alongside the drive on my Vista64 box, and I have to say that Windows7 is everything that Vista should have been.

Plus the windows boot manager automatically detected what I was doing and now when I turn my machine on I get the choice of Windows7 or Vista, I like Windows7 so much its now the default boot system.

Andy

Very Interesting....... This Vista 64 is a plus for me. If I could Windows 7 I would install it as well. Do you know where I could get it.....

I am really impressed with what Vista 64 does to my Autocad 2009 MEP and the rest of the Autodesk software. CS4 also has benefited out of these program. If Win 7 is better (most people say the same) it has to be outstanding.

Let me know if you know how to get Win 7.

Thanks

Elliot

Are you really in Grand Cayman..... I envy you.....!!!!