Ridiculously High Resolution Image Advice - HELP!!!

Matt Sugden

Hi I am working on a project this week and the client has asked me to render a large version of the image out for print. Essentially he wants a life size printout out of a very large TV/Wall unit cabinet of dimensions about 5m x 2.7m.

I have spoken to the printer and he has requested that I produce a resolution of half 'real size' @ 300dpi.

Now I have just got my calc out and estimated that by this reckoning I will need to produce an image at 2.5m x 1.35m or (1000inches x 540inches) then multiplying my 300dpi, gives me a whooping 300,000 x 162,000 pixels!!!!!

Surely this can't be correct? or if it is, surely it is not necessary or practical to produce something of this kind of resolution?

I'm rather worried about the technical aspects of producing such a big image, as at present a 2000x1500 pixel images is taking 2hours to render. What would you guys suggest?

I'm pretty up against it time wise so any advice would be great.

Hi I am working on a project this week and the client has asked me to render a large version of the image out for print. Essentially he wants a life size printout out of a very large TV/Wall unit cabinet of dimensions about 5m x 2.7m.

I have spoken to the printer and he has requested that I produce a resolution of half 'real size' @ 300dpi.

Now I have just got my calc out and estimated that by this reckoning I will need to produce an image at 2.5m x 1.35m or (1000inches x 540inches) then multiplying my 300dpi, gives me a whooping 300,000 x 162,000 pixels!!!!!

Surely this can't be correct? or if it is, surely it is not necessary or practical to produce something of this kind of resolution?

I'm rather worried about the technical aspects of producing such a big image, as at present a 2000x1500 pixel images is taking 2hours to render. What would you guys suggest?

I'm pretty up against it time wise so any advice would be great.

If i am not wrong there is some problem with your calculation.

2.5m x 1.35m is 98.42 inches x 53.14 inch.

You need to create a render of size 29526 x 15942 pixels.

Edited by ankit4d
problem in calculation

The 300 dpi resolution is for materials like posters, brochures and so on. For those kind of materials a legitimate distance between them and the person who is watching is somewhere between 0,2-2m.

One good example - you`ll see the difference between 150dpi and 300dpi on printed materials at a distance smaller than 0,5m.

So you`ll have to think about this point of view….. the truth is you`ll need a smaller resolution probably somewhere around 100 dpi

Another good example…. photos used on advertising banners … even with a full frame photo sensor you will have somewhere around 21-37 megapixel (37 is for KODAK KAF-37500 Image Sensor) this means aprox. 6000*4000 px.

The 300 dpi resolution is for materials like posters, brochures and so on. For those kind of materials a legitimate distance between them and the person who is watching is somewhere between 0,2-2m.

One good example - you`ll see the difference between 150dpi and 300dpi on printed materials at a distance smaller than 0,5m.

So you`ll have to think about this point of view….. the truth is you`ll need a smaller resolution probably somewhere around 100 dpi

This is abolutely the right advice. !!!

Use your dimensions and go for 100dpi !!!

You're printer is ignorant. Whenever someone doesn't know what they're talking about they always tend to say "Make it 300 dpi", because that's what they've always heard. 300 dpi is great for an 8x10 print that you would look at while holding it a foot from your face. Will your client be standing a foot from the life size print? When he does, give the back of his head a gentle nudge ;)

same thing, rendered a billboard last week, 18000 pixels wide came out at 200dpi, looked awesome.

300 is overkill. Actually in Lebanon, they print this on textile with machines that have a maximum of 200dpi (maybe also 150 dpi)