MAX 5 is here!

Jeff Mottle

Hi quizzy,

We did not buy max4 yet because the update was not really satisfacionary to our needs. I guess that free max5 is the way... yiah!

rgds

nisus

first dutch word? mo sèg... klagge beestig plat hier... de leute hé ;)

how's the radiosity in max 5 done?

discreet say you now have lightscape [with texture baking] built into max 5...is this right or is it a simple port of the VIZ 4 renderer?

..i've seen some comments about viz4's renderer taking [needing] huge amounts of ram..like upto 2gigs!...will this be the case for max 5 as well?

i nearly bought viz4 after looking at the demo of it but chose lightwave 7.5 instead as this too has radiosity but "complements" max 4 which i also have...now i'm looking at the upgrade to max 5...i still have a hankering for lightscape as it consistantly has stunning renders..

thoughts anyone?

steve g

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robert
Originally posted by stephen gilbert:

how's the radiosity in max 5 done?

discreet say you now have lightscape [with texture baking] built into max 5...is this right or is it a simple port of the VIZ 4 renderer?

..i've seen some comments about viz4's renderer taking [needing] huge amounts of ram..like upto 2gigs!...will this be the case for max 5 as well?

i nearly bought viz4 after looking at the demo of it but chose lightwave 7.5 instead as this too has radiosity but "complements" max 4 which i also have...now i'm looking at the upgrade to max 5...i still have a hankering for lightscape as it consistantly has stunning renders..

thoughts anyone?

steve g

Max 5 Radiosity is like Viz 4. There isn't much change at all, but Light-Tracer.

Light-Tracer is the secound Radiosity Engine based on a mix between what we know from Brazil and VRay. It does a Brute Force Raytracing. Basicly very clean and good for Skylight scenes. But not worth to do indoor scenes, because it's simple to slow for that. (like Brazil is)

The best to do indoor is FinalRender. And remember they are in Stage 0 so the next Version will be a real great thing.

I personaly worked a lot with lightscape, which is good for doing architectual animation, but has problems with geometrie and modelling. The modelling problem is gone in Max, well Max has got a good modeller too, the problem of producing a high amount of waste geometrie is why I don't use it anymore.

that's all.

robert