Has everyone moved over to 2010 or still using 2009 ??

Jez(UK)

My subscription allowed me to download 2010 (I came in straight from 2009).

Are most people now using 2010 ?? Is it stable, or not ?? (I've had mine bomb out a couple of times and 1 blue screen so far, so I'm using 2009 for time being).

Just wondering which'd be best to use at this current time and what other people's experiences are with it.

Thanks,

Jez

Switched my current project to 2010 and i've been fighting with nonstop memory errors when rendering. Figures to bring the file back into 2009 requires merging etc...

The new modeling tools are fun to play with but utterly useless for me.

They claim the rendering can support "high output" but im rendering the scene at half resolution (from my 2009 render. now at 2550x1500) and I'm still getting mem errors. This means I have to spend yet another day sifting through my scene to find the problem. Is this just me?

I would say wait till they come out with a service pack

they already have a hotfix, did you download it?

Is this crashing happening with 32bit or 64bit versions?

It seems you definitly have to let Autodesk know of these problems, they sound quite serious.

speaking of upgrading to new versions, I work with people who until just recently were still using max8, not 2008, plain 8.

Yeah I actually have friends running version 8... Sometimes they ask for help/advice and when I sit down it brings me back 4-5 years.

As for my problems im running 32-bit (im kicking myself for not getting a 64-bit system). I have a dell, 4gigs ram, dual quad core procs, quadro 570 card.. I've been having continous problems with max crashing over the years but usually it was when I rendered scenes over 5000x3000 pixels so I resorted to region rendering scenes and stitching in PS (which is a lot of fun).

Im sure theres something in my scene thats causing the problem. I turned off FG and GI, lowered the samples, and isolated on a few objects in my scene (maybe 1,000 polys) and hit render... Then mental ray pops up "not enough mem to process this thread" refering to the buckets. Does that for 5-6 buckets then just crashes out with a mem problem. Funny thing is a friend of mine was telling me when MR craps out it doesnt shut down the program now but thats not the case for me.

Ive been submitting my error reports for years and suggesting stuff they should add/change but im a small fry. They have steering wheels and view cubes on the mind and that seems to be it ;)

I have a dell, 4gigs ram, dual quad core procs, quadro 570 card

you have a good system, except for the graphics card, I believe you cna easily upgrade to x64, if you want to spend the $250 to 300 for it.

You can also easily upgrade to 8GB ram as it seems you have a server motherboard, you might have empty slots. those whould probalby only cost you a hundred dollars.

Think about it, but only do it when you are sure you have all drivers and backup everything.

With 8GB Ram, I can render 30,000 pixels wide images.

Jez, when did your subscription allow you to download 2010? Im a 2009 user on a subscription and last year they sent me a boxed version to upgrade from 2008 - I was actually waiting for a boxed copy of 2010 but your post has got me thinking that theyve gone 'download only' on this release?

Hi Glynn,

Well, my subscription was a bit pear-shaped......

I got the email from Autodesk telling me that 3DS Max 2010 was ready for download and to go to my subscription center 1st April.

BUT, when I went to my subscription centre, onto AutoCAD 2010 was there ready for me (but to this date I have never received any email from AutoDesk telling me AutoCAD 2010 is ready).

So it took a fair few emails / phonecalls and pretty much anything else to finally get my subscription centre sorted out and working correctly and showing me 3ds max design 2010 there waiting - that day was the 21st April.

Bit disappointed with this subscription centre 'system' (though remember I'm new in this area) in that the software is by now means cheap but the system is a bit clunky (in my short amount of experience).

For what it's worth, I'm not 'expecting' any boxed copy - doesn't make sense to me, when they have subscription centres (IMO).

I was actually waiting for a boxed copy of 2010 but your post has got me thinking that theyve gone 'download only' on this release?

You have to log in to the subscription centre and explicitly request that a DVD to be sent to you. You even have to put a reason for requesting a disk copy but there is an option to choose not to put a response to that one.

Jim

You have to log in to the subscription centre and explicitly request that a DVD to be sent to you. You even have to put a reason for requesting a disk copy but there is an option to choose not to put a response to that one.

Jim

Thanks Jim for that - I just wish my reseller had let me know about this!

I have the subscription too. They sent me a box copy about 2 weeks ago.

I also fixed my mem problem... It was the hair and fur i was using for foliage. I have a low number of hairs (few thousand) but it was still giving me endless mem errors... Maybe a bug?

How many of you actually update every year a new version comes out? I'm considering sticking with 2009 just because 2010 doesn't seem to hold any new features we would use and the speed seems to be the same. Only problem is I'm on subscription and already have my copy, it seems like a waste to not use it but it's such a pain installing it.

I usually bite the bullet and install it (also on subscription). I find that after using for about a month I find these hidden gems in the program that make my life so much easier (sweep modifier, photographic exposure, visible FG pass, arch and design materials, etc...) so I guess its worth all the transition headaches.

I also actually look at the new tutorials with each release to try to catch on to the new stuff.

Got my update last week. First one since Max 9!

Stable so far, though have not really pushed it yet.

Mostly I have being working with the techs here getting stuff over from Revit 2010 to see what we can do timesaving wise.

Some of the new tools look good, though I do have 3 years to catch up on.

I am on subscription and as such I get the new versions when they come out. I install thema s soon as practicle. I don't bring existing projects into the new version if I can help it. But any new start projects I will use the new version. I believe it's called "being matrried to the upgrade path" I tend to not use plug ins due to the inevitable upgrade issues.

I'm holding off on getting the RPC pugin, even though it's being offered at a good discount for a limited time. I don't use RPC that much and don't like having to pay for a plug in each year/release. The RPC content is ok and I've purchased a fair bit. I had no idea it would cost me $ each year to keep using it. end of rant.

Using Design 2010 64 bit with no problems. Trying to get used to the new interface, colors etc. Personally find it a bit harder to identify buttons and etc with the new look, but not a deal breaker.