Exr format Converter

cjjat puresilica

Hi,

Although I have seen the odd comment, can anyone please tell me how to convert .exr format images saved in Vray for use in Photoshop without loosing all the massive amount of information locked up in the .exr.

I have a simple exr to whatever converter but it looses so much information.

Any suggestions please.

Christopher

You can use EXR's in Photoshop. It has supported EXR back to Photoshop 7. If you need to use filters and more in Photoshop, just import the 32-bit file, make your exposure and gamma adjustments and then switch to 16-bit. You'll then have access to all the tools.

If you really must convert before importing to Photoshop, convert it to a 16-bit TIF...but know that your file will grow in size considerably when you do this.

http://www.openexr.com/photoshop_plugin.html

Basically 16-bit images allow a much finer gradation in tone by using around 65,000 values between black and white rather than the 255 you get with 8-bit. The benefits of this are that you are less likely to get banding appearing in smooth gradient areas such as skies and also you have greater latitude to make levels adjustments as there is much more information in the shadow/highlight areas to be revealed than with an 8-bit image.